Z fine-adjustment without tools

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Z fine-adjustment without tools

Postby flurin » Sat May 26, 2012 5:03 pm

It looks great!
Otherwise why not move the switch to the front using a bracket.
Attachments
bracket.png
flurin

Postby Enraged » Sat May 26, 2012 8:27 pm

how are you guys setting up your firmware? How do you set the bottom of the Z axis to be home? If you press the Home All button in Pronterface, do you risk crashing into a print, or does it move up to the top of the axis?
Enraged

Postby flurin » Sat May 26, 2012 9:14 pm

I use the Marlin firmware (Version 1.0.0 RC2) with RAMPS 1.4.

If I press the home button first the carriage moves in the x-axis to the left, secondly the y-axis to the back and lastly the z-axis down. The carriage moves down until the limit switch is activated (space between extruder and bed: approximately 0.2 mm).

Here are my mechanical settings:

//===========================================================================
//=============================Mechanical Settings===========================
//===========================================================================

// Endstop Settings
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false; // Hadron, default = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
const bool Y_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false; // Hadron, default = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
const bool Z_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false; // Hadron, default = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
//#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
#define X_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
#define E_ENABLE_ON 0 // For all extruders

// Disables axis when it's not being used.
#define DISABLE_X false
#define DISABLE_Y false
#define DISABLE_Z false
#define DISABLE_E false // For all extruders

#define INVERT_X_DIR false // Hadron, default = true // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false // Hadron, default = true // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_E0_DIR false // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E1_DIR false // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E2_DIR false // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

#define min_software_endstops true //If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
#define max_software_endstops true //If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.
#define X_MAX_LENGTH 180 // Hadron (Test), default = 205
#define Y_MAX_LENGTH 200 // Hadron (Test), default = 205
#define Z_MAX_LENGTH 140 // Hadron (Test), default = 200

// The position of the homing switches. Use MAX_LENGTH * -0.5 if the center should be 0, 0, 0
#define X_HOME_POS 0
#define Y_HOME_POS 0
#define Z_HOME_POS 0

//// MOVEMENT SETTINGS
#define NUM_AXIS 4 // The axis order in all axis related arrays is X, Y, Z, E
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE {50*60, 50*60, 4*60, 0} // set the homing speeds (mm/min)

// default settings

// #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {78.7402,78.7402,200*8/3,760*1.1} // default steps per unit for ultimaker
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {78.7402,78.7402,2519.68,1400} // Hadron
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 5, 45} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for r retracts

//
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK 20.0 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)
flurin

Postby dzach » Sat May 26, 2012 11:28 pm

flurin wrote:Otherwise why not move the switch to the front using a bracket.

This too is a possibility. I just wanted the switches to be as in the original design.
I am now using the thumb screw which makes setting the Z-axis stop very easy.

Enraged wrote:how are you guys setting up your firmware? How do you set the bottom of the Z axis to be home?

I too have the bottom of the extrusion as the Z-axis home. Setup is as in flurin's configuration.
For the initial setting of the Z-axis stop, after having configured the firmware and leveled the bed, I turn the threaded rods until the tip of the nozzle just touches the bed. At this point I move the Z-stop up until I hear the click of the microswitch. If I now home the printer it will position the head just above the bed. At this point I adjust the thumb screw to the necessary level, depending on how well I need the first layer to stick on the blue tape.

Enraged wrote:If you press the Home All button in Pronterface, do you risk crashing into a print, or does it move up to the top of the axis?

I think Pronterface does not allow you to home the printer while in the middle of a print. After it finishes printing, the Z level is just above the print that just finished, so there is no danger of crashing into the print, unless you manually lower the head. The sequence of homing makes sure the Z axis will move only after X and Y have moved to home.
dzach

Postby Enraged » Sun May 27, 2012 2:13 am

I crashed my machine yesterday (luckily by only a few mm into the bed, and it flexed enough so no damage), I missed the negative sign on a g00 move... oops.

How are you leveling the bed? I simply have a piece of glass taped/clamped on, using some nylon standoffs to bring it off of the metal plate.
Enraged

Postby dzach » Sun May 27, 2012 7:45 am

Well, obviously you need some provisions for adjusting the height of the four corners of the bed. Usually people run the 4 corner screws inside springs and then adjust the screws to level the bed.

Maybe Calibration and Leveling the Bed from the RepRap wiki can be of help?
dzach

Postby flurin » Sun May 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Enraged wrote:
How are you leveling the bed? I simply have a piece of glass taped/clamped on, using some nylon standoffs to bring it off of the metal plate.

I use a simple MDF board, 8mm thick (5mm would be enough) and 2mm glass on it
Attachments
Hadronbed.JPG
flurin

Postby Enraged » Sun May 27, 2012 4:25 pm

dzach wrote:Well, obviously you need some provisions for adjusting the height of the four corners of the bed. Usually people run the 4 corner screws inside springs and then adjust the screws to level the bed.

Maybe Calibration and Leveling the Bed from the RepRap wiki can be of help?

thanks for the links!
Enraged

Postby flurin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:39 pm

Here is a new version of the Z-Endstop Adjustment:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:44193

Z-FineAdjustment.JPG
flurin

Postby orcinus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:57 pm

I'm amazed with the lengths to which people are willing to go to make their bottom Z endstop adjustable without tools.
Instead of just using a top endstop and adjusting the bottom one in software ;)
orcinus

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot