ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

LAVA...

Postby frob » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Re: warping - this is an unfortunate side effect of the uneven heating when hand soldering the mounting bosses. some came out more bowed than others after soldering -
Reheating the board evenly a couple of times should flatten it out again. I suggest mounting it temporarily without springs, leave the screws slightly loose, and put the glass plate on top - and a heavy weight on top of that to help especially as it cools off. if your running it at 12V its safe to run it full-on unregulated , the temp in open air will top out at around 120C, and with some insulation around it, a little higher. The board can stand up to 160 -170C, and the closer you get to that temp, the quicker it should flatten out.

Re unused Quantum mounting holes: You're the first to mention this, so i didnt think it would be an issue for anyone - Had i known this would be an issue for you i would have offered filled them with high-temp epoxy to give you an unbroken surface.
You could try that yourself: i would laminate the top with kapton film first and clamp a flat surface (glass plate) to the top, flip it upside-down, then pour in a few drops of J-B WELD in each hole.

Liberty4Ever wrote:My LAVA heated build platform arrived today, about four weeks after it was ordered, while I was half way through installing the MK 1 heated build plate. I think I'll reboot and install the LAVA....

Cheers
Frantz
frob

Re: ORD custom heated build plates: They're HERE !!!

Postby pkropf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:35 pm

I'm in the process of collecting the pieces needed to build an ORD Hadron. I should be able to fab those items that aren't directly available for sale. All except the lava heated bed and the ORDuino. I read the post that there should be something on the ORDuino announced soon and I can wait for that but I haven't found anything about how to order a lava heated bed. Or even the specs to build one myself. Any idea how to do either?

Thanks!

- Peter
pkropf

Postby Liberty4Ever » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:58 am

frob,

Thanks for the great tips on de-warping and filling the holes.

I need to find my IR digital thermometer (my shop is a mess!) so I can monitor the 100% duty cycle max heating and I'll try the recommended procedure to flatten the board before I try to level the heated build platform. The LAVA is off the Hadron again at this time, so it's a good time to do this. I'm well along my way in the steep learning curve that has me assembling and disassembling to add or change something on a regular basis, but I'm nearing a convergence of electromechanical solutions. At least I think I am. :) There's not much more to add, so future disassembly and reassembly will be to correct problems discovered while debugging and testing. I guess that's progress.

I wondered if the very nice standoffs on the LAVA contributed to the warping, but I had decided to chalk it up to the PCB fabricator. I've gotten some curly boards before.

I was going to try printing on Kapton film as I had read some good results from that, but at least for now, I've decided to go with the more conventional glass surface, partly to help with the flatness. If I decide to try the Kapton film, I'll fill the holes as you recommended.

I appreciate your attention to details and the aesthetics of the LAVA. I'm being probably a bit too fussy about the Hadron appearance, but I'm also pushing for a tidy build to make it more robust. I'm treating the build more like a hobby, but I'm justifying the attention to details as an investment in reliability. If all goes according to plan, I'll be doing a lot of 3D printing.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby flurin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:23 am

How to contact frob concerning LAVA outsides of buidlog.net?
flurin

Postby canadianavenger » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:20 pm

why not PM him here, and if he wishes he will provide you with details on how to contact him otherwise?
canadianavenger

Postby flurin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:51 pm

I had contact with frob using PM.
But last time I got an answer was a week ago.
flurin

Postby aleith » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:57 pm

I just sent you the email address I heard from him on the 20th and he promised to send an orduino but still a no go. Patience is wearing thin I'm trying to keep the faith.

Im chomping at the bit to turn the motors. But I just keep grinding my gears.
aleith

Postby flurin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Thank you aleith!
flurin

Postby Enraged » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:25 am

So I finally got around to connecting my Lava heated bed, but no LEDs are lighting up. Suggestions?
Enraged

Postby orcinus » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:22 am

At a risk of sounding like a Star Trek character...

Have you tried reversing the polarity?
orcinus

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot