Hello from a new member

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Hello from a new member

Postby cdl1701 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:26 am

Hello, my name is Chris and I have been lurking around here for the past few weeks reading and soaking in all the info for the 2x Laser and ORD Bot. Both look like stellar machines. I am planning on starting with the laser first and am trying to get a grasp on all the parts that I need to build this baby. I see that the MakerSlide Store is down so I am not sure where else to get all the correct parts that are listed as buildlog.net parts. I did see that over at Inventables they have the MakerSlide extrusion but finding all this stuff is getting a little overwhelming to say the least.

With that said, would building the ORD Bot be an easier endeavor than the laser? I am very new to this but am a quick learner and not afraid to build one myself, just not sure where to start.

Thanks for any advice

Chris
cdl1701

Re: Hello from a new member

Postby rsm5178 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:12 am

Welcome Chris.

Makerslide you can get from inventables.com in the USA. Lightobject is a good laser source.

What is your main reason for either machine? I built mine for fun in hopes to find a legitimate use later.

Cost is the biggest difference. I spent 650 USD to build my Ord Bot and 2500 USD to build the laser (with ware chiller). I used the printer to make parts for the laser.

The laser is easier to tune and obtain results.

The laser is more versatile (materials, engrave and cut)

There is a plethora of information on 3d printers. This forum has good detail on the laser.
rsm5178

Postby cdl1701 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. My main reason for building these is just for fun and to make things. I work as a designer all day long using PTC Creo and never really get to see any of the things I design, so I want to get a machine that I can start seeing some of my ideas come to life in my hands.

I found a thread on the forum last night that someone had created a nice cost roll up sheet in excel and all the parts came to around $1800. Add in shipping and will easily be in the $2000 range. I think I may start out with the ORD Bot for now and work my way to the laser as I learn more. I still need to get my head around the electronics and how they all work so I still have a lot of research to do.
cdl1701

Postby cvoinescu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:15 pm

That is a sensible decision. Once you get the 3D printer up and running, you'll be familiar with the linear motion system and its electronics, which are about half of the learning curve for the laser. Then you'll have to deal just with the tube and the optics, but the Cartesian motion platform will be familiar.
cvoinescu

Postby rsm5178 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:53 am

In terms of costs, be prepared for the unknown. I went with the X7 DSP for my laser. More expensive but it worked with minimal tinkering.

My personal experiences (especially for a true beginner) are that electronics can be tricky. I have found that more expensive (quality) controls save a lot of time and money.

When I first started tinkering with CNC, I had a bad multi-axis cnc router board as well as a bad knock off arduino mega for my printer. Once I bought a second of each board, everything worked perfectly. A quality board would have saved me ton on agravation and time.

Just food for thought.

Rich
rsm5178

Postby cdl1701 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:59 am

Well, I did it. Pulled the trigger on the ORD Bot Hadron 3D printer mechanical platform Kit from Automation Tech. Now to decide on the electronics. I am thinking of getting a kit that includes everything I need but not sure yet. I have time to decide that as I build the frame.

Wohoo! :P

Chris
cdl1701

Return to General Discussion