Rough edges problem

General discussion of laser machines

Rough edges problem

Postby Hefaistos » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Hi guys,

So I've been lurking this forum for about a year or two pondering the idea to build my own laser but only a couple of months ago i decided to went for it. I based my machine design on xfredericox's LAYZOR frame but went with 3d prints for custom parts and added a RD6442 Ruida controller. My machine is functional now and, hopefully, after working out all the remaining issues, I will write a full presentation post.

Today I write to seek help with the following:

My laser cut edges look rough. Like its been sawed or something.
edges.jpg

I blamed the steppers but the math does't add up. I have 200 steps /rev steppers with DM542 configured to 3200 mircosteps/rev and GT2 belt. My edges seem to have 30 teeth over 20 mm.
edge edited.jpg

This problem appears over both x and y axis. Another assumption was that my air assist pump ( which is a small aquarium air pump EHEIM 400 ) pulsed air instead of giving a constant flow which removed smoke intermittently resulting in uneven beam power.. This may also be not true because a low power calibration line should not be influenced by this.
calibration test.jpg

Also, my mirrors seem firmly fixed in their mounts.

I am at a lost now and need some leads.
Many thanks.
Hefaistos

Re: Rough edges problem

Postby Hefaistos » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:50 pm

So I think I found my problem solved on another forum.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php ... ge-on-Wood
Apparently this is the way laser cutters cut with wrong settings.

Still, can anyone confirm that those calibration lines from third picture are ok? Being a diy build and never owning a cutter before I'm trying to find out if there is something wrong with my machine or it's something to be expected.
Thanks
Hefaistos

Return to General