MakerSlide orders: Are we there yet?

General questions and comments.

MakerSlide orders: Are we there yet?

Postby dren.dk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm in the process of building an 80W laser cutter using the 2.x design as inspiration, right now I'm in the traditional "frustrated with the shitty options for linear bearings" phase of the project.

I guess I have two questions:
1) When can we expect to be able to order some MS-profiles?
2) What will the price be?

Bonus question: Do you want a European distributor?
dren.dk

Re: MakerSlide orders: Are we there yet?

Postby bdring » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:59 pm

MakerSlide rewards are really close to shipping. I am still waiting on some carriage plates that are 3-4 weeks late. If you are not a backer, you are out of luck for quite a while. The backers will go through all the material.

The price is currently $0.01/mm. I need to see how much yield I will typically get. If I end up with a lot of little scrap ends due to the sizes people order and how that fits into my 15 foot pieces the price may change.

I actually have a few offers of European distributors that I am considering.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby dren.dk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:26 pm

I hate to pester, but this looks so promising, even without any makerslide profile it's going to save builders tons of trouble.

http://store.makerslide.com/

I hope you start selling parts before the next ms batch.
dren.dk

Postby bdring » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:12 pm

I have to totally concentrate on shipping the rewards. I cannot take orders for any else right now.

There is a bit of good news on availability. The extruder shorted me 195 feet, which was not planned for. I was discussing this problem with the extruder and they agreed to expedite the next batch. It should be ready in less than three weeks. I have another 1/2 mile coming.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby dren.dk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:34 pm

Let me just say this: You are awesome and so is the MS idea, keep up the good work!

The timing looks very fortunate, if you do start taking non-backer orders in 3 weeks, then my machine will certainly be MS based.

BTW: The machine I'm building is based on the 2.x, but enlarged to hold an 80 W tube and to fit in the CNC room of our hackerspace (max 800x1900mm) and the tube will go into a separate compartment on top of the main body.

I'll have to wait for my optics to arrive from .cn anyway, so 3-4 weeks seems like a fine schedule to me.

If there is any way to pre-order or reserve a couple of meters, then please let me know.
dren.dk

Postby dren.dk » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Howaboutnow?

How are things going on the "take orders" front?

... and now that it's been 2 weeks, which is less than three weeks, any firm ETA from the extruder?
dren.dk

Postby chow » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:52 pm

I got to see the MakerSlide a few days ago in person and I was very impressed. The platform movement remained very smooth when putting lots of pressure both downwards as well as laterally. Imagine one person holding the slide ends leaning away from the other person holding and sliding the platform and also leaning backwards.
chow

Postby bboettjer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:56 pm

Hey,
Just getting into the design of the platform.... I really like the slide idea.

Can anyone point me towards how to get any of this material?
Do I have to join something or sponsor someone?
I've seen clues that might point to that, and that's OK, given that this is custom work.
I had thought I'd read that this will be commercially available...

Anyone?
Thanks,
B
bboettjer

Postby TLHarrell » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Follow the above link to the MakerSlide Store. When it becomes available for the general population, it will show as available in the store.

For now, Bart is currently sending out the pre-order support rewards for a while. It should be available soon.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby dren.dk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:19 pm

At this point I don't even care about MakerSlide, I just want the rest of the hardware in the store, like wheels and bearings.
dren.dk

Next

Return to MakerSlide General Discussion