New cutting table alternative

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Re: New cutting table alternative

Postby andrewblanejr » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:45 am

Hi Tim,

I just got mine in from Surplus City Liquidators. It is quite damaged: bent at the halfway point and corners smashed, but it should still be plenty to cut 1 or 2 standard tables worth (assuming it still stays flat). Anyways, i'm working on getting a partial refund. Anyways i'd like to ask how you went about fastening it to the table frame after cutting it to size? Did you build a bracket? or is it free standing (just sitting there)? I appreciate any suggestions and guidance you might have.

Best,
Andrew
andrewblanejr

Postby awesomenesser » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:10 am

I cut some mounting tabs that I bolted to the sides of the extrusion. My surface sits flat on the extrusion and was cut to the exact size of the extrusion so it has a tight fit between acrylic tabs (No movement). I used the some M5-0.8 x 6mm hex head bolts to screw into the t-nuts (They had the most clearance). I cut the tabs from some 1.8mm acrylic.

P1010116.JPG
Mounting tab and hardware.

P1010117.JPG
Two of the eight mounting tabs attached to the extrusion.

P1010121.JPG
The table surface with the mounting tabs (the tabs are shorter than the table surface).

Here is my post converted gcode for the table eight brackets. You may need to go through and change the laser on/off(I use M3/M5) commands and the (exhaust/air assist (ie. mist/flood))(I use M7/M8/M9) commands to work for your laser. (I wrote about this in my buildlog on the bottom of the first post) If you have any questions let me know.
Table Bracket - Parsed.nc
Here is my post converted gcode of the eight table brackets.
(5.02 KiB) Downloaded 1605 times
awesomenesser

Postby andrewblanejr » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Awesomenesser,

thanks!!! that is extremely helpful. I really appreciate the pictures and all. Not sure if i can use the gcode since im building it to use the DSP...ill have to investigate this. Did you cut the eg crate yourself? if so how? i'm trying to determine the best way to cut his thing. I might be able to use wire clippers or maybe even small lock/bolt cutters...the guy at the harwdare store suggested a grinding wheel. What are your thoughts?

/Andrew
andrewblanejr

Postby awesomenesser » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:43 pm

andrewblanejr wrote:Awesomenesser,

thanks!!! that is extremely helpful. I really appreciate the pictures and all. Not sure if i can use the gcode since im building it to use the DSP...ill have to investigate this. Did you cut the eg crate yourself? if so how? i'm trying to determine the best way to cut his thing. I might be able to use wire clippers or maybe even small lock/bolt cutters...the guy at the harwdare store suggested a grinding wheel. What are your thoughts?

/Andrew

I ordered the "lazer cutting grid" which looks like the same thing as your eggcrate except I paid a heck of a lot more for it. I ordered it to size and they cut it for me, but I would try to cut it with tin snips at first (a little larger than needed). Then you might be able to use some dremel cut off wheels to clean it up if the tin snips don't get it clean enough. Just in case you can't use the gcode I attached the dxf of my tab design is in the zip below.

Table Bracket.zip
DXF of a single table bracket.
(20.34 KiB) Downloaded 1524 times
Last edited by awesomenesser on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
awesomenesser

New Brackets

Postby bdring » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:48 am

I am building a fresh 2.x to test out the Makerslide before I ship any upgrade kits. When I ordered the Misumi parts, I decided to try a different assembly method for the table. I used these standard Misumi corner plates. I am hoping it will let me slip in the egg crate material and support it.

It is just an experiment right now and may have some downsides that I will discover later. The egg crate or honeycomb will be inside the frame, so I'll have to see how that works out. The extra brackets shown not assembled were the closest thing they had that might support the middle if needed.

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby soehler » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:20 am

Bart

Those corners look like the way to go, but ....

I am using 1/4 x 2 cm thick honeycomb in my build http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=737#p5983 and it definitely is kind of soft and need support in the middle, I saw somewhere here in the forums the use of L shaped thin aluminum profiles to support he middle and it works nice, but I still looking to a better Idea.

Sergio
soehler

Postby andrewblanejr » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Hey guys,

Just an update. I ordered the surplus city (giant uncut) egg crate. I took awesomenesser's advice and got some "tin snips". Looks like they are going to work really really well. Nice clean cuts. This is what i got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SL44G2

$9 egg crate
$17 shipping
$13 tin snips

Best,
Andrew
andrewblanejr

Postby J45on » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:20 pm

You US guys are so lucky :lol:
I struggled to find any in the UK, one place would cut me a piece for £40/$63
In the end I bought a ready made tile replacer 595mm x 595mm for £22/$34 and after cutting off the frame I was left with almost enough to fit inside the table
http://www.flatduct.co.uk/products/eggc ... ium-finish
ECG01_medium.jpg
ECG01_medium.jpg (13.1 KiB) Viewed 35113 times

It is currently resting on my rotary adaptor shoes, I must make a few more supports.

Edit
Here is my table

And some adjustable rest/brackets for it to sit on
table tabs.cdr.zip
(9.24 KiB) Downloaded 1354 times

J45on

Postby Engineerable » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Is the grid from Surplus City Liquidators painted white, or bare aluminum colored? (EDIT: I received it, and It is painted white).) Hard to tell from the pictures on here, but it looks bare, vs the picture on their website looks painted white. I called a local place and they only had white paint aluminum grids. Also wanted $75 for them.

Here's an alternate source if you need a lot (share with friends). It's 2 pieces of 2'x4' grid for $57.95+shipping = ~$75.

If the grid from SCL is bare aluminum, I'll risk shipping damage for the price.
Last edited by Engineerable on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://TakeAparts.com - Post and view tear downs of stuff.
Engineerable

Postby Chankster » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:07 pm

The grid I received from Surplus City was painted white and arrived without any damage.
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?
Chankster

PreviousNext

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.