Slightly off-topic design

Discuss ideas and construction techniques here.

Slightly off-topic design

Postby tobiusnc » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Hello All,

I stumbled on the MakerSlide while searching for parts to build a table saw fence similar to the one described here.
http://lumberjocks.com/Hutch/blog/2740

It seems like this could be a great application for the MakerSlide, but I'd like to get feedback from the group here. I'm thinking the MakerSlide would replace the front/back rails and the carriage plates (each with 3 wheels) would replace the linear bearings. Of couse there would need to be some kind of 'brake' to hold it in position, but I'm thinking that's a simple bracket mounted to the bottom of the carriage with a handle. Anyone have thoughts about using the MakerSlide this way. How long do you think the rails could extend without needing additional support. It's pretty much just supporting the fence, but the fence could have some sideways force when a workpeice is run against it.

Thanks!
tobiusnc

Re: Slightly off-topic design

Postby quadmasta » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:26 pm

Seems like a lot of overkill for that application. The "linear slides" are just other aluminum parts with something like UHMWPE "bearings".

In the dimension you're talking about (skinny side up) MakerSlide is pretty rigid. In general for woodworking you're not really supposed to have something against the fence if it's not mostly supported by the table. Compounding this is the fact that if you didn't have anything in-between the MakerSlide pieces when you clamped the fence on or stopped it or whatever you want to say, you'd just pull them together; not good.

6' of MakerSlide at ~$3/ft is $18
2 carriage plates at $8 is $16
6 V wheels at $2.85 is $17.10
6 spacers at $.20 is $1.20
~$6 for more hardware
so roughly $75 excluding that huge extrusion for the fence assuming you could use the carriage plates as-is. I think you'd have to machine some stuff to attach them but that's doable.
quadmasta

Postby bdring » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:47 pm

I just sent some really big pieces (104") to someone doing something similar, but under CNC control. They are going to make it open source, but I think they are being quite about it for a while.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby tobiusnc » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:38 pm

It may seem like slightly overkill for this application, but at $75 (plus say another $50 for the top fence and some other parts) it's still about half the $270 the original builder spent for parts. I've done some looking and about the best I could do with the linear slide style was $150, and that's with getting the housing from reject stock. As long as this would stay square, I think it would make a nice design, and as long as the rails were supported on the ends, I think they could be quite long.
tobiusnc

Postby tobiusnc » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:48 am

Also, I'm not planning on having the MakeSlide with the narrow side facing up. I've attached a couple images of what I have in mind from something I threw together in sketchup, along with how I see the brake working. Please take a look and comment. I have some ideas for possible attachments to this setup if I can get the basic design to work.
Attachments
FrontCarriageLockBolt.png
Front carriage assembly view from front. Similar carriage without brake parts ride on back rail.
FrontCarriage.png
Front carriage assembly from bottom/inside. Rail cut back to view brake assembly
tobiusnc

Return to Designs and Design Ideas