Cooling Setup Basics/Pics of Cooling Setup

Methods of cooling laser tubes

Cooling Setup Basics/Pics of Cooling Setup

Postby shitake » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Hello Guys,

i am fairly new to this. I've read almost everything concerning this Laser and I've already got most of the parts that are needed to complete the Laser.
One last thing I don't really get, is the cooling. I can't think about one single thing that is left out in most of the descriptions more than the cooling. Eventhough it's the only way to make that baby survive after you fired it on for the first time, im missing some heavy information on the cooling. So ive read that some of you use computer cooling from overclocking and some just use a regular 5 gl. bucket with an aquarium pump attached to it. I wouldn't give money for it, but Id be glad if some of you guys posted a couple of pics of the cooling part of the Laser to make me understand it a bit better.

I read that bdring uses coolant mixed with water.
If my question sounds silly in any way or i missed something that makes the experienced users think omg, this guy didn't read all the necessary stuff (thats what happens in 90% of the forums :) i hope not here) just tell me what part of the whole blog i didnt read and ill read it again.

Thanks for your kind answers.
Shitake.
shitake

Re: Cooling Setup Basics/Pics of Cooling Setup

Postby J45on » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:34 pm

I am planning on using a 5 gallon bucket and I have a 1000lmp aquarium pump that is it :D
I will also be using a antifreeze and water mix I'm not sure if I need distilled water though :?

EDIT I will be using antifreeze only because my shop gets cold in the winter
Last edited by J45on on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J45on

Postby bdring » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:26 pm

Having a high tech cooling solution is everyone's bucket list :oops: , but they rarely get around to it. The truth is most people start off with a pond pump and a 5 gallon bucket and stuck with it because it works fine. Most low cost Chinese laser don't even come with a cooling system. They tell you to get a pump and a bucket.

You should have a flow switch but most people blow that off too. I put a little paddle wheel switch in mine that I just use to see the flow. It is not actually active right now. The tube is not very sensitive to the quality of the water because it only touches glass. I used distiller water and a little antifreeze. I used the antifreeze so I could visually see bubbles easier. My cooling choices were detailed on my buildlog before the forum started here.

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/build ... l#LogStart

Bottom Line: You need reliable cooling, but nothing fancy. I would definitely recommend against chilling the water. With the high volume of exhaust air going through the machine, the last thing you want it to see is something cold. It will turn into a dehumidifier and make a dangerous mess.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby r691175002 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:00 am

I just use a small bucket (perhaps 2 gal) and a 12V pump I got from lightobject.

Works fine, and I've never seen the water get much over room temperature even during some reasonably long cuts.

I've also forgotten to turn on the pump for shorter cuts or engravings. Haven't had anything go horribly wrong yet. I was sure to use distilled or deionized water so that I don't have anything growing in my tube.
r691175002

Postby bdring » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:03 am

I suggest having the pump on the main power. As soon as your turn on the laser, the pump will always run. It may run a lot longer than needed, but it is safer. I have used the same water for over two years without a problem.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to Cooling