Flow sensor size info

Methods of cooling laser tubes

Re: Flow sensor size info

Postby lasersafe1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:12 am

Same email to me today. I guess they finally got their stock in.
lasersafe1

Postby SScnc » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:41 am

I hope everyone here got their flow sensor, mine came in and I'm happy with it. I have it all installed and it's working fine, I made an "L" shaped bracket and simply mounted it on the back of my machine and super glued the temp sensor to the brass fitting. And as you can see in the pics, I have the LCD unit all programmed and installed...
Attachments
IMAG0412.jpg
IMAG0381.jpg
IMAG0371.jpg
Last edited by SScnc on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SScnc

Postby artofmystate » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:01 am

It's looking good. The integration with the DSP has a nice complete look to it.
artofmystate

Postby twehr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:30 pm

SScnc wrote:I hope everyone here got their flow sensor, mine came in and I'm happy with it. I have it all installed and it's working fine, I made an "L" shaped bracket and simply mounted it on the back of my machine and super glued the temp sensor to the brass fitting. And as you can see in the pics, I have the LCD unit all programmed and installed...

Would you share details about the LCD and the programming for this? Looks like a great idea.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby lasersafe1 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Very nice! Now you just need an LED Bargraph VU type meter instead of the ugly old analog. Using the bar graph, you could also give it a persistance on the peak power. I recall seeing analog circuits somewhere, but it is also easily done with the PIC and the 10bit ADC that comes pretty standard these days.
lasersafe1

Postby SScnc » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks guys, glad you like it. I like the idea of the LED bargraph, I've made a few of them in the past using LM3915's (or 14's), I'll have to check into doing it with a PIC with max persistence. Great idea! I'm using a PIC 16F88 for this LCD that has several ADC channels, if you have any info that can help with that, please pass it along to me.

Tim, I'm happy to provide whatever info about this that you'd like,it's just a basic counting procedure that counts the number of pulses from the flow sensor then does a simple "LCDOUT" to display. Also in the loop is the temperature code that reads the temp info from a DS18B20 sensor (that is glued to the brass fitting) and displays that on the second line. It's not perfect, the flow sensor wheel turns a bit slow so there's only about 3 to 4 pulses per second so the display only reads about 75% to 100%, anything less than 75% is considered low or no flow. That's the only way I know of to do it though. just tell me what you want to know more about.

BTW: I milled the panel on my CNC router then heavy black powder coated it, then put it in the laser and engraved the letters. Then I filled the engraved letters with silver paint. You can't really tell it but the DSP panel is flush.

Steve
SScnc

Previous

Return to Cooling