Open Source Rotary Attachment

Bearings/Motors/Belts/Gears/Etc.

2.x Attachment Method

Postby bdring » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Here is my concept for mounting the rotary attachment on the 2.x table. The plates shown below the unit mount permanently to the bottom side of the table frame. You take the time to make sure they are parallel with the gantry once and lock them down. You would also write down the Y center line distance from Y home. The rotary attachment then easily removes and drops back in easily. This mounting scheme also gets you about 3/4 more height.

rotary_mounting.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Open Source Rotary Attachment

Postby trwalters001 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:11 pm

When will the kits be available?

Sign me up! :D

Tim
trwalters001

Latest Parts

Postby bdring » Wed May 25, 2011 11:13 pm

I got another set of parts today. These have a couple improvements.

wheel2.JPG

The idlers are fixed. There is no more binding regardless of how tight you make them.

The o'ring spacing has been adjusted to the actual cross section (0.139") of the rings. This allows them to be placed side by side without bumping into each other.

The rings have been move virtually to the edge of the wheel. Now a work piece would have to have about a 60 degree angle leading to the wheel before it would miss the ring.

Tim Wehr, also gave me a suggestion on the rear adjustment. This uses two plates instead of one. The front plate has angled slots and the rear has a horizontal slots. By tweaking the relationship between the plates you get a smooth range of adjustment. The dual slots, keep the spacing equal (in a perfect world). I am an optimist, so I am going to give it a try. Hopefully the way it slides in the extrusions keeps everything squared up.

The whole assembly can be flipped if the direction of the angle works better the other way.

newend1.jpg

newend2.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby StigOE » Sun May 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Is there a fairly final list of extrusions needed for this yet, so that I can get these at the same time as I order the rest of the needed extrusions for a 2.X laser?

Stig
StigOE

Postby bdring » Sun May 29, 2011 11:51 pm

Final? Nothing is ever final in open source....

The current items are.

(1) HFS5-2020-140
(2) HFS5-2020-440
(2) HFS5-2020-50
(4) HBLFSN5 (brackets)

These parts put a slightly wider stance on the assembly than the twehr unit. I have parts due next week for "final" testing.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Preliminary Assembly Drawing

Postby bdring » Mon May 30, 2011 2:22 pm

Here is a copy of the preliminary assembly drawing. A few of the hardware items are incorrect, but the rest of the items should be correct. The plan is to test the latest version this week, then release the drawings and a kit.

D30038_rev_1.pdf
(585.93 KiB) Downloaded 1399 times
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby ecurtz » Mon May 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Does Misumi have something more like these cam clamps for use on the sliding end? I don't have any experience with these parts, but those hex drive machine screws seem somewhat troublesome (do you need to worry about losing the nuts in the track if you over loosen?)
ecurtz

For Sale Soon

Postby bdring » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:39 pm

I sent the second unit off to whmeade10 this weekend. I was going to order some parts for general sale. If you want one, let me know via email (bdring@buildlog.net) and I will order enough parts to cover the demand.

The unit ships complete (extrusions, motor, etc) with no other parts required. It has the new twehr inspired height adjustment and all adjustable screws have thumb wheels. It is a kit, but some of them will be pre-built to test the kit contents.

The price is $100 for the basic system, $15 for the optional 2.x mounting shoes + $15 for domestic shipping.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Status Update

Postby bdring » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:21 pm

I have all the purchased parts for 10 units. I am putting together at least one now to test the BOM and drawing. I need to make a few more sets of machined parts to get up to the ten units. I should be able to ship a few this week.

The only issue holding me back is the heat in my garage. It is over 110 in there. I can't even pick up a wrench without a risk of burning. I got a couple Mach3 resets of unknown origin too, that I am blaming on the heat. I hear it is supposed to drop a few degrees this weekend.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby J45on » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:40 pm

If you are taking names for these I would like one please
Jason
J45on

PreviousNext

Return to Mechatronics