parallel extrusions

Bearings/Motors/Belts/Gears/Etc.

parallel extrusions

Postby evokanivo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:05 am

Hello,

I'm starting a design and haven't found a good way to join two extrusions in parallel. I want to join some 2080 with some 2040 makerslide (centered on the 2080). I think the simplest way would involve right-angle brackets with holes at 10mm offsets, but I couldn't find any on misumi. I thought about having misumi predrill horizontal holes, but that really moves the price and I don't think I can get the makerslide predrilled.

Looking down the extrusions lengthwise:
2040_2080 001.tif

Anyway, your ideas/alternatives are appreciated.

Thanks
evokanivo

Re: parallel extrusions

Postby metalman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:31 am

Misumi makes some angle brackets with one two or three holes in each leg. They are part numbers: HBLSS5, HBLST5, HBLST5 at $.68 , $.88, & $1.07 each. Or you could just drill some aluminum angle or the extrusions themselves.
metalman

Postby evokanivo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:39 am

Thanks, but the misumi drawings show that the holes are 10mm offset on one flange, and 15mm on the other. I've been trying to find 10mm on each side.

Yes, I could drill them myself, but that's what I'm trying to avoid. I don't have many tools at my disposal so I'm trying to do as much as I can with off-the-shelf parts. If I don't find an alternative I'll end up going that route.
evokanivo

Postby bdring » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:26 pm

I was always surprised they don't have a good solution to this. I made a chop saw guide out of extrusion and needed to solve a similar problem. I noticed that standard screw heads would probably interfere with each other on their brackets. You might need to countersink the holes. You could also try a wider bracket like HBLSD5 and drill your own hole in the middle on one leg.

drw_01large.gif
drw_01large.gif (10.42 KiB) Viewed 11408 times

They also make some three way corners that can work, but they are expensive ($5.50 each) HBLCR5
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to Mechatronics