reflection mirror from a old Hardrive disc

Discussions on optics for laser cutter/engravers

Re: reflection mirror from a old Hardrive disc

Postby a542002 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi
I am using them now for many hours on mirror # 2 and #3 and compare them to the original goldplated mirrors and there is not difference in the final outcome of the engraving or cutting. even up to 900 Dpi.
i agree with tim they are easy to clean , I even clean them with a regular lens cleaning rag and no scratches like with the goldplated no need for anysolution.
I even have the feeling it gives more power and deeper engraving close to 3D. look at the picture .
I am waiting for my new thunderlaser DSP system then I can realy find out
greetings
walt

twehr wrote:
artwood_decor wrote:Those of you using the new mirrors made of hard drive platter, can you please keep us informed how they taking the "new job".
Any issues?
Do they get burns?

I am currently using these for 2 of my 3 mirrors (simply haven't taken time to replace the final mirror yet). I continue to get top performance out of mine. I think they are LESS prone to dirt, smudges, smoke, etc. They are also MUCH easier to clean and less apt to be scratched in the process.
Attachments
laserpict1scanhelg.jpg
corian1.jpg
a542002

Postby artwood_decor » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Thank you Tim and Walt for the updates.
This is encouraging good news, so I have ordered my mirror holders but no mirrors, saving some money.
Hopefully one day I will be able to post my results... (machine under construction)
artwood_decor

Postby a542002 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi there
just a quick advice depending on the mirror holder make sure the disc lenses are in front maybe put a plastic ring behind
I had not done this and the lenses from the disc are much thinner what measn the are not pressed firmly and start ratteling what gives not a good laser result.
greetings
walt

artwood_decor wrote:Thank you Tim and Walt for the updates.
This is encouraging good news, so I have ordered my mirror holders but no mirrors, saving some money.
Hopefully one day I will be able to post my results... (machine under construction)
a542002

Postby artwood_decor » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind. I have purchased set of 40 disks off e-bay for $10 + shipping. (They are sold for gold/platinum ?? recover)
I have asked for carefully being packaged. Will go and check them, but I'm pretty sure there will be many useful ones.
artwood_decor

Postby a542002 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:44 pm

I believe so too because they are not so scratch sensitive and from evey disc you get about 7 mirrors and after my experience now they last more then 300 hours each what means you pretty much get a lifetime supply out of this
greetings
walt

artwood_decor wrote:Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind. I have purchased set of 40 disks off e-bay for $10 + shipping. (They are sold for gold/platinum ?? recover)
I have asked for carefully being packaged. Will go and check them, but I'm pretty sure there will be many useful ones.
a542002

Postby artofmystate » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:16 am

Thanks for the hard drive laser mirror tips. =)

I made a quick drilling jig on my CNC to avoid the whole spinning and tape ordeal.

hd_mirror_1.jpg

Cutting the jig.

hd_mirror_2.jpg

The two halves.

hd_mirror_3.jpg

The platter sits nice and flat in the pocket to prevent spinning. I used a dinged platter for the first test run.

hd_mirror_4.jpg

The hole drill fits nicely. The jig is screwed down to the sacrificial board of the CNC router.

hd_mirror_5.jpg

The first mirror came out great. Just a little sharp around the edges.

hd_mirror_6.jpg

Opening the jig. The mirrors stay in the jig. This removes potential scratches when they get stuck in the hole saw bit.

I used a file to debur the edges; it takes about 30 seconds per lens to remove any sharpness.

All I need to do is make or purchase rings for the mirrors so they fit centered in the mirror mounts.

Amazing find Walt! Unlimited mirrors for a $10 hole saw, scrap plywood, a file, and little bit of time.
artofmystate

Postby twehr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:20 pm

artofmystate wrote:
All I need to do is make or purchase rings for the mirrors so they fit centered in the mirror mounts.

Make the rings out of 2mm craft foam. It compresses nicely and holds the mirrors very securely.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby lasersafe1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:51 am

While we are talking secrets, I had a good layer of smoke film on my mirrors that the methanol wasn't removing even with some pressure from a Q-tip. I then thought that if this is smoke from wood sap, then perhaps something good for sap would clean it. I reached over and found my bottle of "goof off" tar and sap remover and it immediately removed the film. I then rinsed the mirror with methanol to remove the goof off. Works Great!

I still have my gold mirror in place and I have a few spare gold mirrors, so it will be a while before I need to swap to these hard drive mirrors, but presumably the goof off would work on the hard drive mirrors too.
lasersafe1

Postby a542002 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:22 am

Hi lasersafe
with the HD mirrors no need for heavy cleaning mostly they stay clear even with heavy engraving .
greetings
walt

lasersafe1 wrote:While we are talking secrets, I had a good layer of smoke film on my mirrors that the methanol wasn't removing even with some pressure from a Q-tip. I then thought that if this is smoke from wood sap, then perhaps something good for sap would clean it. I reached over and found my bottle of "goof off" tar and sap remover and it immediately removed the film. I then rinsed the mirror with methanol to remove the goof off. Works Great!

I still have my gold mirror in place and I have a few spare gold mirrors, so it will be a while before I need to swap to these hard drive mirrors, but presumably the goof off would work on the hard drive mirrors too.
a542002

Postby Greolt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:56 am

Finally got around to cutting some mirrors.

CNC milling machine makes it easy. And they come out exact size. :)
Attachments
IMG_0979.JPG
Greolt

Previous

Return to Optics and Lasers