Gantry mounting a laser

Discussions on optics for laser cutter/engravers

Gantry mounting a laser

Postby PSG » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:37 pm

I am still in the plannng stages. Once I decide my direction and configuration, I will be posting a sketch.

I really think that I want at least one axis to be at least 48". I want make the laser mounting as simple as possible, because of the above average size. Now I can see mounting the laser in a horizontal fashion, and using mirrors. I am confident that I can align the reflectors on the gantry but I am still very curious about a vertical mount. I understand that the tube will/should be enclosed and that it will stand tall, but as of now I have no intentions of enclosing the table.

Here are the questions:

What optics would be used in a scenario like this? I can't seem to find any vertical collector/concentrator (not up on all terms yet) that does not have a 45° entry point.

How much gantry clearance is needed for beam adjustment/focus? I am not versed well enough to understand and calculate the optics page, yet.
PSG

Re: Gantry mounting a laser

Postby bdring » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Here is my lens carriage for reference. I hid the mirror and clip on the top of the lens holder. It will work just fine this way for a top entry beam. The focal plan is about 2.75" below the lens holder mounting plate (gray octoid).

See my kit & parts page for a link to this holder.

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/store ... _parts.php

With that said, I think the vertical mount is a bad idea for any tube longer than about 200mm. Without a massively tall gantry you will never make it stiff enough to withstand the sideway acceleration. It will be very easy to align a single axis at 4 feet long if you mount the tube behind the gantry. Use 2 mirrors to bring the beam around the front. Mirrors that do not point to a moving mirror are super easy to align.

vert_lens.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Gantry mounting a laser

Postby PSG » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Well I guess horizontal mounting wins :) . I never contemplated the tube being able withstand the lateral movement. As my buddy and I were kicking around ideas last night we were searching the pros & cons of gantry mounting & we trying to figure out the vertical or horizontal mount.....now we know :)
PSG

Return to Optics and Lasers