Extending positive power supply wire?

Discussions on optics for laser cutter/engravers

Extending positive power supply wire?

Postby r691175002 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:21 am

What are your thoughts on lengthening the red wire from the power supply? I'd probably cover the entire length with heatshrink but what are the risks of getting arcing through normal hookup wire insulation?
r691175002

Re: Extending positive power supply wire?

Postby lasersafe1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:07 am

Risk is high for "normal" hookup wire. I would suggest you use spark plug wire or order some good 25kV silicone wire. If it arcs to ground, your power supply will likely be toast. At the splice junction you can simply solder the wires together and then cover it with hot glue about 1/4" thick. Add some tape if you want, but the hot glue will definitely handle the voltage if you put it on with no air bubbles trapped inside.
lasersafe1

Re: Extending positive power supply wire?

Postby r691175002 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:45 am

lasersafe1 wrote:Risk is high for "normal" hookup wire. I would suggest you use spark plug wire or order some good 25kV silicone wire. If it arcs to ground, your power supply will likely be toast. At the splice junction you can simply solder the wires together and then cover it with hot glue about 1/4" thick. Add some tape if you want, but the hot glue will definitely handle the voltage if you put it on with no air bubbles trapped inside.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to pick something up thats rated to higher voltage. I finally got my tube today - just owning something awesome enough to need water cooling is a first for me.
r691175002

Return to Optics and Lasers