Broken tube

Discussions on optics for laser cutter/engravers

Broken tube

Postby irfanulla » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi Folks - Just saw that my stored tube (60 watts) (which I had stored for 1 year) has broken right at the point of the wire (wire gets connected to a coil in the tube) entry near where the laser light is supposed to come oout - do you folks think it will work with a patch - I will try to post a picture soon.
irfanulla

Re: Broken tube

Postby bdring » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:48 pm

That sounds bad. The special gas mix is on the other side and at a partial vacuum.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby macona » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:35 am

Sorry, the tube is toast. Its now a glass sculpture. :(

I constantly worry about breaking mine like that.
macona

Postby BenJackson » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:21 am

I broke a water fitting off of mine and although I have a replacement on the way I'll probably try epoxying a 3D-printed "patch" on the old one.

Next tube I'm going to use 5/16" surgical tubing (dead soft) instead of the 1/4" Tygon for the body-to-lens "jumper" tube. I'll cinch them with zip ties. The fittings on the lens ends are pretty stout but the body is pretty thin. Mine snapped off when I angled the stub of tubing to attach the other end.
BenJackson

Postby trwalters001 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:42 pm

I used surgical tubing on mine.
So far, so good...
trwalters001

Postby bdring » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:50 pm

I used surgical tubing on my first laser. It worked fine, but was very prone to kinking. I always checked to before running because many times kinks found would have caused problems. It is also degrades quickly over time and get brittle. Some of the gases from cutting might accelerate that problem.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby BenJackson » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:54 pm

I'm only going to use the surgical tubing to jumper the endcaps to the tube body. I'll use tygon to run to the pump. The fittings on the laser endcaps are much stouter than the ones on the body.
BenJackson

Postby BenJackson » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:29 am

Surgical tubing IS annoyingly kinky for those short hops too. I experimented some more with tygon figuring I had nothing to lose. I discovered that with some flaring (with needle nose pliers, for example) and copious dish soap you could get some really low force for applying the tube. We'll see how brave I am when the new tube arrives.

I did manage to patch the hole and fire the laser, so at least I know the PSU works. There's a pinhole in my patch I need to find and slather with epoxy. Is this how you end up building two laser cutters?

Fullscreen capture 6102011 82426 PM.bmp.jpg
BenJackson

Postby irfanulla » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi All - thanks for those replies - my supplier of laser tubes in HK does not want to supply me tubes - the landing cost of a tube in india from HK is 25K indian and that of locally available is 38K - I am perplexed on how to get a tube and from where in a safe condition- I get my tubes in plastic PVC tubes and almost all the time they break somewhere - its 3 numbers now!

do you folks have any hints on how to pack a tube - moreover the size of packing makes it so expensive to ship - the last time DHL cost me 260USD from HK to India!

Regards
IRfan
irfanulla

Postby BenJackson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:56 pm

You can see a picture of mine still packaged: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=557#p3905

That was the laser tube wrapped in bubble wrap until it fit inside a 4" PVC pipe. The ends of the pipe had about 3" of hard inside. Then that was wrapped in bubble wrap until it was maybe 9 or 10" around. Then the ends were capped with more hard foam and then the entire thing was wrapped in a 1" thick soft foam. It was all secured by being wound with tape (the entire outside package you can see is tape).

The bubble wrap itself was fairly poor quality (someone else mentioned that it wasn't very bubbly).
BenJackson

Return to Optics and Lasers