Big Ol' 3d Printer, by Awesomenesser

Post your build logs here

Re: Big Ol' 3d Printer, by Awesomenesser

Postby RD_SF » Wed May 30, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi Awesomenesser,

About the roller interference on the x axis, you posted annotations in picture id=3096. 1) Do you have a recommended position for the X spring holders... Can the M4 bolts straddle opposite sides of the threaded Z screw? That seems like it would put the spring holder well out of the way of the X v-wheels.

2) Now that you have your wires in springs (I have my springs chilling in a McMaster bag) have you thought about hole placement for the other spring holders... how much offset would you give the XspringHolderBase from the corner shown in picture id=3097?

3) Also semi-related to the heated bed spring setup. Did you happen to make guides for where to drill the all the new holes, including the large bottom (Y) plate?

Last but not least - there are I think around 100 Hardon's out there pre-inventables that could really benefit from these improvements. I think it would be great to put together a kit with all the hardware for your mods and see how much interest there is, then maybe make a small kickstarter. I'd be willing to setup the kickstarter, source the parts, laze and ship them and give you full credit for the designs. I'd probably add a small laser cut wood jig to help people get the holes perfectly drilled in their aluminum parts.

Cheers,
Rob
RD_SF

Spring Mount Kits/Control Panel Kits?

Postby awesomenesser » Thu May 31, 2012 12:13 am

RD_SF wrote:About the roller interference on the x axis, you posted annotations in picture id=3096. 1) Do you have a recommended position for the X spring holders... Can the M4 bolts straddle opposite sides of the threaded Z screw? That seems like it would put the spring holder well out of the way of the X v-wheels.

Yes it can straddle the lead screw, but it might make the screw head difficult to reach. Acrylic is an interesting material to work with so I like to make sure I have enough material to keep it from cracking under stress. I could redesign that mount to be shallower so it avoids the V wheel altogether.

RD_SF wrote:2) Now that you have your wires in springs (I have my springs chilling in a McMaster bag) have you thought about hole placement for the other spring holders... how much offset would you give the XspringHolderBase from the corner shown in picture id=3097?

I actually don't have the wires installed yet I haven't touched the Hadron for the past month. i graduated on the 5th and have been settling into a new city and a new job so I haven't had time. But I am finally moved in and have my laser up and running again so I can get started again.

RD_SF wrote:3) Also semi-related to the heated bed spring setup. Did you happen to make guides for where to drill the all the new holes, including the large bottom (Y) plate?

I just cut some of the mounting plates in 1.5mm clear acrylic and used those to mark all the holes. Thin cardboard or poster board could be used.

RD_SF wrote:Last but not least - there are I think around 100 Hardon's out there pre-inventables that could really benefit from these improvements. I think it would be great to put together a kit with all the hardware for your mods and see how much interest there is, then maybe make a small kickstarter. I'd be willing to setup the kickstarter, source the parts, laze and ship them and give you full credit for the designs. I'd probably add a small laser cut wood jig to help people get the holes perfectly drilled in their aluminum parts.

I never really thought about making kits, I guess there aren't too many Hadron owners that also have laser cutters. So if the demand was high enough I could set up some kits or even a Kickstarter. Making a Kickstarter almost seems like too much, but i could see how it would allow people to choose kit levels and pay easily.

Possible Kits:
- Spring Mounts with Hardware (X,Y,Z)
- Spring Mounts with Hardware and Springs (X,Y,Z)
- MK2 Adjustable Heater Mounts with Hardware and Springs
- Control Panel with Hardware (Could be customized to include or exclude the following: Char. LCD, Encoder/Potentiometer, SD Card, Buttons with Leds)
(The electronics in the control panel would be up to the purchaser to figure out, but things like the LCD, leds, and buttons should be fairly simple)

Even without a Kickstarter I would be willing to cut out the Acrylic for anyone of the above kits and mail them. In order for me to include hardware at a reasonable cost I would need more people to opt in or a Kickstarter.

Is anyone interested in one of the kits listed above? If there is interest I could come up with prices.
awesomenesser

Re: Big Ol' 3d Printer, by Awesomenesser

Postby RD_SF » Thu May 31, 2012 2:20 am

I PM'd you back about thinking big...

Another kit could be custom cut glass for people using the MK1 and MK2s heated beds. Those people want the glass to have cutouts at the corners for the bolt heads. I run a waterjet, I can cut anything - including glass. I've also laid my hands on the new Hadron heated bed and it is a thing of beauty. It has standoffs soldered to the bottom so nothing protrudes above the top surface. Classy. That being said : there are a lot of people out there with MK1 and MK2 heated beds that would benefit from glass that fits flat and has cutouts for the bolts.

Also... I'm powder coating (what were blue parts of) my Hadron - Ferrari Red tomorrow :D
RD_SF

Previous

Return to Build Logs