Printed ORD Bot

Post your build logs here

Re: Printed ORD Bot

Postby JeremyBP » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:23 pm

That should really start coming together quickly now. I can't wait.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Re: Printed ORD Bot [Misumi Parts & First Assembly Steps]

Postby AndrewR » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:11 pm

crispyfry wrote:My shipment from Misumi finally arrived today. This means I've got 85%-90% of the hardware I need to build this bot. Still to buy or make are:
- Z rod couplers

Couplers, eh?

Here are some ideas:
http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:2?q=coupler
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:7678
AndrewR

Postby crispyfry » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:52 pm

JeremyBP wrote:That should really start coming together quickly now. I can't wait.

Heh, still waiting on 3 new high-torque motors to arrive, and for the v-wheels to become available again. Then this should go together pretty fast.

As for Z-rod couplers, I've had a really good experience with nophead's couplers designed to work with a short piece of tube on the motor shaft for some angular compliance.
crispyfry

Postby sdivad » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:48 pm

You said you will post STL's on the thingiverse, when do you suppose that happens ;) I would really like to try to print some of the parts.
My ordish printer came together during this weekend, but there are a few things I would like to tweek :)
sdivad

Postby crispyfry » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:00 pm

sdivad wrote:You said you will post STL's on the thingiverse, when do you suppose that happens ;) I would really like to try to print some of the parts.
My ordish printer came together during this weekend, but there are a few things I would like to tweek :)

After I get the printer running and figure out what works and what doesn't.
crispyfry

Postby crispyfry » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:17 pm

Got the new steppers from China last night. Still waiting on eccentric spacers, v-wheels, and a longer piece of makerslide from Inventables. No word on their estimated ship date.

I could do some more assembly but I am trying to keep my current printer operational as long as possible, in order to be able to print new parts for this printer. So I can't cannibalize it for parts just yet.
crispyfry

Postby Liberty4Ever » Thu May 31, 2012 4:22 am

I'm in the same boat as crispyfry, unable to buy the Hadron parts to feed my obsession, but unlike crispyfry, I have no 3D printer to make the parts I need. I've spent probably enough time to build an ORD Bot, just trying to source the parts, and I still have a decent list of unobtanium that I'll be fabricating from aluminum on my milling machine (albeit not as pretty as the professionally built Hadron parts).

While I completely understand printing Hadron parts from plastic to get the project underway and wish I could do that, I also concur with crispyfry on the entire silliness of the 3D printing community clinging to the concept of printing the printer parts as if it's some sort of religion. It was a clever idea, but it got the 3D printing technology off into left field for a couple of years IMO. I wanted a 3D printer back then, but I recognized the inherent problems in the designs, but with the advent of the ORD Bot and others using similar rigid frames with low parts count, I'm now buying in myself. I guess if I was a dude-and-a-half like Bart, I could have designed my own new and improved version, but, hey... I've been busy! :)

When Hadron parts are readily available and consistently sourced and there are 20 ORD-ish 3D printers on eBay at any given time for $150 above the kit cost, then 3D printing will REALLY take off.

And to those who still dream of self replicating robots... the first step is low parts count with quick and easy assembly.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby crispyfry » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:01 pm

With the weather turning warmer this project has stalled a little bit.

I finally (!) received my shipment of Makerslide and v-wheels from Inventables earlier this week. These were the last parts I was waiting on.

However, in the time while this build has been stalled I've had 2 thoughts:
1. I've dialed in my PLA print settings and can now get good strong parts in this material. PLA is much stiffer than ABS, but slightly weaker. For a lot of the parts needed for this printed ORD, PLA is a better choice of material than ABS. Rigidity is much more important than ultimate strength.

2. An H-bot configuration with Makerslide would be really cool and not too hard to design/build. Ultimately this is the printer I want anyway. It can print faster and more reliably, and can more easily be scaled up to much larger build volumes.

So, I may abandon this project in favor of an H-bot, since I would have to re-print quite a few pieces for the ORD to work decently. I need to do some CAD work and see how hard it would be to sort out the Z stage for an H-bot and make a decision on where to go from here.
crispyfry

Postby canadianavenger » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:44 pm

If you're interested in an H-Bot config, you might be interested in this concept design I put out there a while back;

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1286
canadianavenger

Postby crispyfry » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:39 pm

I decided to continue to build my printed ORD instead of tackling an H-bot right now.

I redesigned the Y carriage, the Z endplates, and the X carriage to increase their stiffness, and made other small changes such as integrating standoffs where possible. Last night I printed the Y carriage out in PLA to see if PLA would be stiff enough to make it work. I was pretty happy with the result:

2012-06-09_12-01-11_583.jpg
Y Carriage Redesign

You can see I added some stiffening ribs between the bosses for the 2 fixed wheels (bottom edge). I had to leave some gaps for the belt, and to allow adjustment of the eccentric spacer, so unfortunately the ribs are not continuous.

So the good news is PLA works. The bad news is I have like a half-pound worth of ABS parts that I will need to reprint.
crispyfry

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs