Gavztheouch's Mk 3 Laser build

Post your build logs here

Gavztheouch's Mk 3 Laser build

Postby gavztheouch » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:23 am

This is going to be my build log for a small belt driven laser.

Working bed size will be 650mm * 450mm

Outer Chassis will be welded box section steel with aluminium gantry. To keep weight down I will be looking for some lightweight linear slides, Barts makerslide would be usefull but its a long way to ship, so I might see what other options are out there. I have some more panasonic servos that I bought years ago off ebay for the y axis motor, I just need a lightweight dc servo for the x axis possibly driven via a granite devices servo driver (which are great btw if you haven't used them before check them out)

I also want to look at a super lightweight optics system. The chinese "pro" laser optics/mounts you can buy on ebay are great for the money but they are way over engineered and heavy, a bit like my mk2 laser :lol:

Budget wise I need to keep this tight about £500 for the mechantronics and £500 for the laser and optics if it get thats far.
Timothy hay for rabbits delivered over the UK http://www.timothyhay.co.uk
gavztheouch

Re: Gavztheouch's Mk 3 Laser build

Postby Techgraphix » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:38 pm

Oh yeah! another laser project..
Lightweight laserhead?... carbonfibre perhaps...Minimal construction but, ofcourse, with airassist :mrgreen:
What will be your "lightweight" guides? No linear guideways with ball-blocks and rails, i suppose: too heavy..

Kees
Techgraphix

Re: Gavztheouch's Mk 3 Laser build

Postby baz » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi Gav,

I saw that you where contemplating using MakerSlide but found that shipping was going to be quite expensive. You might be intrested in my MakerSlide Europe project over in the ShapeOko forum. http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=556

Good luck with the build.

Regards

Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, 2.x Laser, ORD Bot Hadron
MakerSlide Europe Store
baz

Return to Build Logs