Sliperys Ord Bot Build Log

Post your build logs here

Sliperys Ord Bot Build Log

Postby Slipery » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:19 am

Let me introduce myself I am Australian with plenty of experience in Electronics, Computing and consider myself fairly handy with Steel and Timber. Have been considering CNC for my bench mill or a CNC router for quite a while but the other weekend saw a video on 3D printing and decided thats what I would do. Been studying maddly ever since. Spent nearly all night studying Hoss2006's build of a prussa over on CNCzone. I have followed HOSS's blogs for quite a while and I am quite impressed by the work he turns out. I asked him what I should consider building and he sugested one of these after I spent the weekend investigating the Prusa.

It was not untill I was well into the costing exercise that I found out the ORB BOT was not a Printed machine. I have to learn not to assume so much. :lol:

Hardware.
Well I have bitten the bullet and orderd the following;
1. Mechanical kit form ATI. Makerslide wanted nearly as much for the freight as for the slide components and ATI wanted less freight for the entire set.
2. RAMPS 1.4 ultimate kit from repraddiscount on EBAY. Seems a reasonable price especially with freight for the following
a. Ramps 1.4 with 5 drivers
b. Arduino Mega2650 with SD i/f and 4GB card and LCD controller.
c. 3 Mechanical Endstops
d. MK2 Heat Bed with thermistor
e. Wiring kit.
3. The QU-BD dual extruder. :cry: (On Back order hope it wont be too far away).

I will be using power supplies I have laying around but still need to get some fillament. Which is better to learn with ABS or PLA?

Software;
1. Arduino to install the firmware to the Ramps boards. Seems to be conflicting reports as to weather I can use version 1 or not.
2. Firmware to convert the G Code to movement via the Ramps board. This looks like a good link on these http://reprap.org/wiki/List_of_Firmware#Marlin. Sprinter, Marlin and Repetier seem to be the contyenders here.
3. CAM Software to convert the CAD drawing to G Code. I have used Mach3 before but there seems to be so much free stuff out there I will look at Slic3r, Pronterface and Repetier Host. Not sure about this last one yet.
4. CAD software. My son uses Autocad and inventor but that is too expensive. Need to find something perhaps even Google Sketchup ( I like it for my wood working projects) for a while at least.

Support.
Seems to be spread all over the place at the moment as 3D printing is really still its infancy (IMHO). Have been a member of CNC one for the last 6 years. Currently contains a little info on the ORD BOT. This site at buildlog.net which seems to be associated with (Run by?) the author of the ORD Bot. Thingiverse.com for a great range of pojects. Reprap.org which has loads of stuff on 3D printing and 3ders.org which seems very new and not much info yet.

As a newbie to this field of industry I will appreciate helpfull comments and direction. Especially I think when I get into squeezing out some hot stuff. :oops:
Slipery

Re: Sliperys Ord Bot Build Log

Postby MattyZee » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:48 am

Hi Slipery, where abouts in Australia are you? I'm in Adelaide...
MattyZee

Postby Slipery » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:25 am

I am near Toowoomba Queensland.
Slipery

Re: Ramps Kit Arrived

Postby Slipery » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:30 pm

Well my Ramps kit arrived yesterday. Modified a PC power supply to provide the 12V required. Followed the steps at http://www.reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS1.3. Still waiting on stepper motors so cant test them yet. Installed marlin as it has support for the lcd and encoder. Installed and configured Marlin following directions at reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Smart_Controller. Worked first time. :D
Slipery

Construction progressing well

Postby Slipery » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:52 am

OK been a while but have received nearly everything including some filament but still waiting on my Extruders. Got a message the other day (well nearly a week ago now) saying they were processing the order what ever that means. Cause they are still doing it.
Have assembled the Hadron twice now. First time to see where everything went and try to work out where the cables were routing and which ones went where. Went together fairly straight forward but like everyone else was one T nut short. I think this is because if you look losely at the wiki photo you will see the brackets used to hold the Z slides vertical are half the width and therfore only require one bolt and nut instead of two to secure them to the base.
Took me a while to work out where all the cables were going to go and had had to increase the spring sizes. For the onnes to the heat bed and the X axis trolley I increased these to an external diameter of 7/16". The spring for the cable run to the extruders however ( I am using the (QU-BE dual Extruder) I had to increase significantly to handle the wires for 2 heaters 2 thermistors and 2 stpper motors. I ended up using a 1/2" co[pper pipe bending spring and had to change the mounting position.
Thought I had got myself into trouble here after reassembly (see photo) because the spring hangs stright out from the electonics pannel and I had forgotten about the extruder trolley. :oops: Anyway turns out there is enough room between the pannel and the X slide if the spring is bent at right angles and I will pin it back with a P clip.
I am having dificulty working out where the Stop switches mount for the 3 Axis. Need tro investigate this further. Any pointers anyone.
Attachments
2004-02-09 06.50.30.jpg
Last edited by Slipery on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slipery

Postby Slipery » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:57 am

Here is a couple of more photos of the the front showing the Hot end cable spring and the micro switches I need to mount for the mechanical stops.
Attachments
2004-02-09 06.50.10.jpg
2004-02-09 06.51.00.jpg
Slipery

Postby geoffs » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi Slipery,
Looking good. Where did you source the spring from? I've been looking around locally but no success.

Regards
Geoff
geoffs

Postby Slipery » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:46 am

Couldn't believe my luck I thought the springs were going to be hard to find as well but found them at Bunnings. Saw latter that Mitre 10 also had them.

Sorry I have been absent for a while I have come to a standstill waiting on the QU-BE dual extruders. Chased them up about 10 days ago and the next day status changed to shipped so I am expecting them any time now.
Slipery

Return to Build Logs