Baz's Hadron UK Build

Post your build logs here

Baz's Hadron UK Build

Postby baz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:07 pm

The next step in completing my MakerSlide CNC collection is to build an ORD Bot!

The first task was to get the custom brackets and plates, instead of fabricating them myself I got them laser cut at a local company. The motor/idler mounts and handle are 1.5mm and the rest are 3mm. I planned to definitely build 2 full printers (one for myself and one for a local organisation) but I got 3 sets of plates manufactured for keepsakes (someone has already put their name on the 3rd set, but if there is more interest I could get some more made). Along with the Hadron plates, I got a load of standard carriage plates manufactured to stock the MakerSlide Europe store. The plates where of reasonable finish, the standard silver....I will start another thread about the finish of the plates as I have being doing some home anodising!
DSCF6062.JPG
Official Image

I started to purchase parts such as the bolts, shaft couplers, lead screws, pulleys and belts. (The pulleys and belts came with the ones I had ordered for my 2.x laser, so I saved a little on the postage) I already had the Misumi parts as I had pre-empted my build when I made my 2.x parts order. Other bits like the v-wheels, idlers and eccentrics I already have from my Ulule project and to stock the store. I decided on a QU-BD extruder as it seemed very popular and easy to mount. Unfortunately I purchased it before this thread was published, so my first print is definitely going to be this! I have got this coming in the post to add to the extruder overhaul.
(My collection of hardware (bolts!) from the 3 projects (cnc, laser and printer) is getting so big I decided to get a special box and even label the compartments!)
The next big hurdle was the electronics. In an ideal world I would have wanted the Azteeg X3, but by the time I had paid postage (to the UK) and customs charges it was going to be ~$300. Way too expensive. So, I started to look at the alternatives. I eventually decided on a RAMPS set up; it was well documented, commonly used, affordable and available here in Europe. However, when I was shopping around for the best deal; I came across this. (Wiki Page). It’s a combined Arduino Mega and RAMPS single board solution, and best of all it’s a very decent price ($115) Due to the fact it is basically a RAMPS configuration all the documentation and info on RAMPS can be applied to Megatronics. Along with the standard RAMPS configuration the board also includes a micro SD slot, loads of useful jumpers and a better pinout system for extras such as LCD’s and keyboards. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any real life users as it is a relatively new board, but hey, I’ll give it a try. Along with ordering my Megatronics from RepRapWorld I also got 2 spools of ABS, 1 spool of PLA, a heated bed, loads of wires (that’s another topic in itself, wires!), some kapton tape, heat sinks for my existing drivers, some thermistors and a keyboard control panel (I ordered the keyboard as a kit at a lower price, but it arrived assembled!)
I was a little unsure about power supplies, but I contacted the Megatronics support team and they were brilliant in answering my questions (they replied in seconds!). I ended up getting a 12v 20a supply. I got a nice surprise when it was delivered as it turned out to be a 30a model. This did however have a downside, I had originally planned to mount my electronics the popular way (PSU clamped underneath and controller on the handle) but the PSU was just a few mm too tall to be mounted underneath. This also brought back the deliberation I had had when purchasing the Megatronics board, it is slightly too big for the handle. Originally I had just decided that it will have to do, I contemplated building a handle similar to Bart's PS:One Hadron, but decided there was not much point. Now that the PSU doesn’t fit, I am contemplating a different way to configure the whole machine. Maybe a standalone box? or a square (thin) box underneath the whole printer? It could potentially do me some favours when it comes to routing the wires.
Currently the build is on a bit of a standstill waiting for my European MakerSlide to arrive, but hopefully this will be within a week and I can start printing by Christmas.
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, 2.x Laser, ORD Bot Hadron
MakerSlide Europe Store
baz

Re: Baz's Hadron UK Build

Postby loopingz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:35 am

It looks like you have almost everything ready. I have my plate waiting for your makerslide to ship and my motors. I will still to add some hardware, wire and a controler. I cant wait for your feedback on this controller. I would also go for azteeg as a first choice but I gave too much to customs lately...
loopingz

Return to Build Logs