Delta ORD Bot

Post your build logs here

Re: Delta ORD Bot

Postby roberlin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 pm

I have always cut mine with a hacksaw (sometimes using a miter-box, although for me this necessitates switching to a wood-saw at the end when my hacksaw bottoms out). It is not that difficult, but with my level of care the end doesn't wind up looking that great. If you do this, you should take some care about where the factory ends wind up (i.e. if you need an end square or looking nice, make sure its one of the factory ends).

Each time I do it, I swear I will get a power miter saw before the next time.
roberlin

Postby mhensen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:03 pm

I think i will try and find me somebody who can do it.. or purchase a smalltool ..
I just saw the Dremel DSM20.. That might do the trick and is small for storage and easy to use!!

First I will look for that Dremel DSM20 in Amsterdam.. if not I will take the makerslides to a store and let them cut it for me..
They already made me a hotbed.. so that will be ok . But then it has to wait till monday, bummer.. ( i think I leave it at 1m for now. yeah, then I can print up to 75 cm!! Bad idea, I know)

Thanks anyway.. Now I know for sure that my current tools won't make me a proper cut.. so it is Investment time!!
mhensen

Postby bdring » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 pm

That Dremel DSM20 looks like it could be handy for a lot of projects, but I think a chop saw would do much better. In the US a good chop saw is less than half the price of that dremel.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Winder » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:43 pm

The plastic miter box and hack saw method that @roberlin suggested is very cheap (~$10 for both the box and the saw) and very accurate. I made a lot of projects using these when I was an apartment hopper with no place for larger power tools, and still break them out every once in a while when I have a material that I don't want to run through my woodworking tools. (To my table saw's dismay, I'm perfectly happy to cut aluminum makerslide with it)
Winder

Postby bdring » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:02 pm

I would not use a table saw either.

Seriously...get or borrow a chop saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVWW1JuI3-Q
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mhensen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:17 pm

:oops: I will have it done by somebody :D

I have no place to put and store that kind of machinery.. No barn or cellar.. Amsterdam is not famous for the big houses, well spaced and lot of rooms, within a 'normal' budget :-)
mhensen

Postby mhensen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 pm

Slowly but surely it is coming together. Next up is fixing up the hotbed and the jhead..

The initial 'high' speed dry run looks real cool. http://youtu.be/R9FepID6rSc

Thanks for your design Bart, although I made some changes on the arms design, most parts are yours!! So credits to you!
mhensen

Postby bdring » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:42 pm

Looks cool. That is a major milestone.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Build Logs