Large format laser build - 24"x 48"

Post your build logs here

Re: Large format laser build - 24"x 48"

Postby TAGood827 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:18 am

I've been reading about your build. I really like your design. Very well laid out. I am considering building a laser cutter with a friend and we are trying to settle on a design and I keep coming back to yours. I am trying to glean all the design info I can from your blog to fully understand the design.

Are you familiar with 8020's AutoQuoter X II for AutoCAD? I use that to detail equipment I've built using 8020. It will even print out a BOM with current pricing from 8020. Here's an example from table I just sketched up.

I would be happy to document your framing if you would like.

Can you also provide the file for the top plate?
Attachments
CNC001-Model.pdf
(210.15 KiB) Downloaded 1932 times
CNC001-BOM.pdf
(37.82 KiB) Downloaded 1777 times
TAGood827

Postby Rad Racer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks, glad you like it.

I have over 10 hrs of cut time on the machine, the only issue so far was a loose pulley on my z-stage. The single top plate design works really good, have nice uniform cutting across the working area. At this point the only design change I would make is to add (2) more feet to the machine.....it's a long span from corner to corner, needs a center support.

I am aware of the 8020 quoting tool but have never used it. You can document the frame if you would like, as stated in earlier posts....this design was a one off so the cad file needs a little work before it will be useful for replication.

I will post the design (DXF) you should be able to pull the necessary measurements from the file.

I can post additional photos(different angles) if that would helpful.....let me know.

WR
Rad Racer

Postby daveshappy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks Wayne for the inspiration I have started to collect the parts for a build.
Can you tell me what thickness of acrylic gives you protection from stray laser radiation. Also where did you get your safety glasses.
Are you happy with the power output of the laser or would you liker more power.
Cheers Dave
Mill, Drill and Burn :-)
daveshappy

Postby Rad Racer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:27 am

Hi Dave,

I used .25" (6mm) polycarbonite for the door. I ordered the safety glasses from LightObject.
Many of the parts came from LightObject, they are a good vendor...I like dealing with them.

Not sure what you intend to cut, but 80 watts is perfect for my needs I am satisfied with the cutting power.

WR
Rad Racer

Postby peterp69 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:25 am

I have been looking for a good 80 watt design to model my build after and yours seems great. I do have a couple question for you. What are the overall dimensions of the whole enclosure? and what size/kind of reflective mirrors did you use on your design?
peterp69

Postby zkmiller » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:10 pm

You have really built a great machine. I hope mine turns out half that good. I would like to know what you did with the z-table. Do you have a motorized lift? If so what pulleys/belts did you find to use? I have been looking and I can't seem to find a belt that would be long enough for this size of cut area.

Thanks for sharing so much about your build.

Zeke
zkmiller

Postby TimGS » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:53 am

Thank You for your help over the last year. Your build log has been very helpful.
The following is my large format laser modeled after yours.

Yes, I will have to take it apart to move it from the dining room (my lab) to the basement :lol:

The laser is aligned and works...
I just have to connect up the air regulator, air filter, run the exhaust out the window and tune up the stepper motors.

Thanks again.
Tim :D
Attachments
IMG_0653.JPG
Top Open
IMG_0655.JPG
Top Closed
TimGS

Postby Rad Racer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi Tim,

Awesome build the machine looks fantastic! Apparently you are right-handed.....being a lefty I put my primary controls on the left side for easy access.

The full access hood design is great, do the gas shocks take care of most the weight?

Your lab is fancy.....curtains and all :mrgreen: Too bad you have to disassemble it, perhaps your better half will allow it to stay where it is ;)

You have built a nice laser, thanks for sharing.
Wayne
Rad Racer

Postby TimGS » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Yep... I think it is time to replace the curtains in my lab... :lol: :oops: :lol:

My girlfriend (funny to say at age 50) hasn't laid down any laws yet. 8-)

As far as the shocks go...There are 4 small gas shocks 2 each 6.6 lb and 2 each 33 lb shocks that both support and oppose each other. I will try to take a video of the action. The 33 lb shocks caused the top to pop up and go down two hard so I added the 6.6 lb damper shocks. They started out inside the box but I moved them outside to squeek out an addition inch plus of laser head movement. I may look at getting longer shocks to really open up the top wide. Right now it is usable but there is still a bit more undampened closing force than I would like.
TimGS

Postby TimGS » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:10 am

Rad,
I posted the video of my first cut and one of the shock movement....
http://www.timsmachines.com/home/co2-laser

I have a ton more pictures to add...

Need to build a lift table :)) too.

Thanks again
TimGS

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs