New CNC laser Build

Post your build logs here

New CNC laser Build

Postby bush flyer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:28 pm

I have just started to draw up a new CNC Laser, I will post drawings as they are done and then will post as I actually build the laser. The rails will be one Hiwin HGH15 rail 700mm long for the X axis and SBR16UU Linear Bearing with 600mm long rails for the Y axis The reason I am using the SBR linear bearings for the Y axis is because I had four spare bearings doing nothing, and I got them for free. More drawings to come soon.
Mike.
Attachments
X Axis Drawing.pdf
(249.74 KiB) Downloaded 3169 times
X Y Axis.pdf
(45.44 KiB) Downloaded 2104 times
Y Axis Drawing.pdf
(118.98 KiB) Downloaded 2175 times
Laser Head Drawing.pdf
(81.54 KiB) Downloaded 2371 times
bush flyer

Re: New CNC laser Build

Postby bush flyer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Some more drawings of the box the size is 1200 X 875 X 350 it is mostly made from 20 X 20 Series 5 Aluminium extrusions, all corners will have a 20 X 20 angle brackets so it should be good and stiff. The actual frame for the laser for supporting the rails are made from 20 X 40 extrusion. next time I will post all the brackets that I need to cut.
Mike.
Attachments
TOP.pdf
(134.05 KiB) Downloaded 2105 times
Front & Side.pdf
(328.93 KiB) Downloaded 2647 times
bush flyer

Postby Techgraphix » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:10 pm

Nice, but a few things to consider: I see you planned to use double linear bearings on both sides of your bridge. They will give you more friction and weigh more. This will reduce the acceleration and speed quite drastically and i think you do not need it there as you drive the bridge on both sides.. Loosing some weight can also be done for a different construction foor those heavy and overdimensioned aluminum plates. Forces are not that big..
Maybe it is wise too, to make the vertical space a bit larger for your table: think of the future use of a rotational unit for instance or a construction to suck away the smoke.
Give your lasertube so much room that a possible upgrade to a bigger tube still is possible. With my laser i dimensioned this part just enough for the tube i had. Placing a Reci 80W isn't possible anymore because this is 80mm instead of the 60mm of the tube i use now. Or i have to remove some parts of the frame..
Kees
Techgraphix

Postby bush flyer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi Techgraphix,
Thanks for the information, I was worried about the weight, I'm glad you never seen my first drawings, :lol: Would Acetal Sheet or engineering Nylon Sheet be better than the aluminium? The more information I can get the better. This is why I have posted the drawings so it is easy to change things, and I can gather as much information before I start buying parts. So I appreciate your input.
Thanks Mike.
bush flyer

Postby TLHarrell » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:02 pm

I would reorganize the electronics. Separate the high power noisy stuff for the laser from the motor drivers.

Also, if I were building my own laser from scratch, I wouldn't go with an adjustable height bed (yet another thing that needs adjusting), but instead have provision for longer materials to go into the laser (lid extends down front to same height as bed, possibly a slot at the back for pass through). Have the cutting bed removable for use with a rotary.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby bush flyer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:52 pm

There is an adjustable bed in the drawings but its not clear in the black and white drawings. I have it drawn in colour on the CAD drawing. As for having the door to open at the bed height it's a good idea for longer pieces of whatever I will be engraving, I like it. Its funny I built my CNC router with the provision to cut a longer piece of wood if needed but never considered it for the laser, but I will now, Thanks TLHarrell. And you are correct I will have to reorganise the electronics to stop interference. I will be looking for more information about that when I get to that point.
Mike.
bush flyer

Postby TLHarrell » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:22 pm

The recommended skin material is Alupanel, which is basically a PVC "cardboard" with a thin aluminum skin. Since you have a CNC machine, you could actually cut the skins to be folded at the corners providing a very nice, seamless exterior.

As far as the electronics go, I'd put the laser PSU in the same bay as the tube, with a grounded steel panel between it and any other electronics. Don't run motor wiring anywhere near or parallel to AC power or high voltage tube connections or it'll induce currents and make strange movements.

The bed being adjustable is a tradeoff. On one hand, it makes adjusting focus fairly easy. On the other hand, it can be a pain to maintain perfect level. I've had both (FSL Gen 4 and FSL Gen 5) and I prefer the non-adjustable bed with the focus on the laser head instead. My machine doesn't have front opening clearance though, but instead I can drop the entire floor out of it and set the machine up on risers to gain clearance for the occasional larger piece. If I build my own, I'm definitely going for a front opening and rear pass through in the design. There's always going to be some point where your stock supply is too big to fit, and cutting it down can get to be a chore. Having a bed with 4" of adjustability with a laser that can only cut 1/2" thick material just isn't as practical.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby bush flyer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Well in the last couple of days I have been redrawing the CNC Laser and I have changed the SBR16 rails and bearings for SBR12 rails and bearings also I have changed all the 10mm aluminium for 10mm engineering nylon plate, and increased the Z height from top of Z axis table to the laser head nozzle to nine and a quarter inch but I still think the X and Y are too heavy.
I want to use this for engraving photos on to wood aluminium etc as well as cutting out parts for RC model aircraft. So I need to cut down the weight, I found this Oonest linear rails here in the UK but they are out of stock on the most popular parts. I have sent an email so I hope they get back to me soon and I will start again.
I have attached a couple of large PDF files just to let you see what I have been up to.
Thanks Mike.
Attachments
NEW 12MM RAIL PAGE 1.pdf
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 5324 times
NEW 12MM RAIL PAGE BW.pdf
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 5379 times
bush flyer

Postby bush flyer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:56 pm

After drawing about five or six different designs with different linear guides and V wheels and rails, I think I have come up with the one to build. I will be using MGN15 rails and blocks. I will attach two pdf and in the next few days I will draw up the parts to be cut. The biggest problem I am having is about the belts and pulleys I was going to use GT2 3mm pitch but had a hard job finding any, then there was T5 belts, but that's 10mm wide and was thinking it may be too heavy. At the moment it's drawing with GT2 2mm pitch 6mm wide with 20 tooth pulleys. Please let me know what you think? I have also reduced the size of the stepper motors from Nema23 3.1Nm down to Nema23 to 0.8Nm 0.9 deg step.
Attachments
XX MGN 15 page 1 Colour.pdf
(679.01 KiB) Downloaded 2188 times
XX MGN 15 page 1 B-W.pdf
(661.58 KiB) Downloaded 1947 times
bush flyer

Postby bush flyer » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:23 pm

I have started. I have ordered the linear rails today but I need some input about the timing belts stepper motors. I keep looking at the GT2 belts and pulleys and keep thinking the teeth are very small not much grip, the teeth are only 0.762 mm tall and 6 mm wide the other belt I'm looking at is the XL which has a taller tooth of 1.3 mm 10 mm wide but the pulleys have a flange about 36mm diameter the GT2 pulley have a flange about 16mm diameter, so what would you use if you where building now? or even tell me about another type belt and where to get it?
Next is the stepper motors, what size can I use 1.8 deg steps, or do you need 0.9 deg steps? Please remember I want to engrave photos with the laser.
bush flyer

Next

Return to Build Logs