Brian's "my wife isn't sure about this contraption" build

Post your build logs here

Brian's "my wife isn't sure about this contraption" build

Postby quadmasta » Tue May 31, 2011 10:15 pm

I've already started a build and documented a bit but it's a little light on the photos. I'll merge them in with comments/snide remarks in the next day or so. In the meantime you can just pretend there's some basic progress and a lot of questions raised as well as a lot of 2 steps forward, 4 steps back action. That'll fill the space until I put some more stuff up :)
Last edited by quadmasta on Tue May 31, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quadmasta

unboxing and frame construction

Postby quadmasta » Tue May 31, 2011 11:27 pm

Got the Misumi order. I ordered everything but the extrusions on one order and used the $32 discount to order the extrusions. This worked out well.
Extrusion only:

Other parts:

The frame the first time I put it together. I completely disassembled it and used another assembly guide to make sure I had all of the t-nuts in the right spot. I still didn't :(

Gluing the v-rail. I got a thing of clamps from Harbor Freight for $4 that came with a bunch of clamps. It worked well.

Electrics module just laid out. The drivers are WAY bigger than the older model. I had to stagger them until I can cut something that's more fancy. I'm thinking of a little rack that they bolt to with a 120mm fan on it to help ventilate them.
Last edited by quadmasta on Tue May 31, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
quadmasta

more assembly and wiring

Postby quadmasta » Tue May 31, 2011 11:29 pm

Laser carriage on the partially assembled gantry

I got some 22/2 shielded wire with optional grounding braid to wire up the limit switches and got some 18/4 shielded wire with optional grounding braid (I'll use this one) to wire up the motors. I know it's overkill but it should work great.

More overkill on the wiring. All of the primary wire is 16AWG. I didn't let the magic smoke out!
quadmasta

gantry installation

Postby quadmasta » Tue May 31, 2011 11:40 pm

I put the gantry in and added some tension to the lower v-wheels and if I push the gantry back and forth evenly it works fine. I've got the belts all hooked up and if I move it by spinning the shafts on the motor the gantry racks a little for a second when I switch directions. I assume this is because I've got one side further in one direction than the other. I may adopt the "Del Monte Alignment System" to try to resolve this. If it doesn't, what should I check?
quadmasta

Re: Brian's "my wife isn't sure about this contraption" buil

Postby BenJackson » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:45 am

Did you forget to tighten one of the drive pulleys altogether?
BenJackson

Re: Brian's "my wife isn't sure about this contraption" buil

Postby tylerv » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:50 am

I found that this happens when one of the set screws in the Y axis pulleys (in back connected to the motor rods) isn't tight. Thread locker or teflon tape helps to keep the set screws in place.
tylerv

Pushing on the Gantry

Postby bdring » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:01 pm

The Y drive system should link the two side together. If you are getting "racking" the system is not tight. With that said you are putting a lot on stresses of the system is was not designed for. You are running the system backwards through the load of the motor. If you must manually move the gantry, do it from the middle of the gantry so the load is equal.

When the motor powers the system it should drive both sides equally.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

gantry movement

Postby quadmasta » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:55 pm

When I was moving the gantry and getting the racking I noticed, I was spinning the couplers on the motor and not pushing the gantry. I'm thinking it just needs adjustment. Unlock one of the couplers, square the gantry up and lock the coupler down again. I need to check a bunch of angles for square anyhow so I'll do that tonight.
quadmasta

uneven movement solved

Postby quadmasta » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Ben hit the nail on the head. One of the rear Y pulleys wasn't tightened at all. After I tightened it up everything was good to go :)
quadmasta

updated pictures

Postby quadmasta » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Here's how it sits currently:

I have to remove the gantry and re-glue the V-wheels. I didn't rough up the bearings or the v-wheel surfaces at all and I guess the glue didn't like that so some of them popped off when I was doing rough adjustments.
quadmasta

Next

Return to Build Logs