Jason's UK 2.x build

Post your build logs here

Jason's UK 2.x build

Postby J45on » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:52 pm

I started assembling the frame today :D

And hope to finish glueing the v-rails this afternoon so they can sit overnight ready for tomorrow
J45on

Re: Jason's UK 2.x build

Postby nextexitjon » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:06 pm

would be good to know where you sourced your components, how many you got in the uk ect... thinking of starting a build of my own!
nextexitjon

Postby J45on » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Didn't get much done as I have a rotten cold :(
I moved the laser to it's new home today as you can see I have very little space (please ignore my mess )
I will probably have to use bottom or front extraction and side entry for my electronics.
laser9.jpg
Laser

Nextexitjon All of the kit parts have come from bart in the US and the frame from Misumi
A few other items like switches and a power supply have come from ebay
I will put up a cost list later,import duty's are making this an expensive project.
J45on

Postby J45on » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:22 pm

Quick update's
I spent a while today carefully de-buring , cleaning and sanding the lightobject mirror mounts and lens holder ( they were quite rough )

I also spent some time ( I am a beginner ) turning up some smooth idlers as mentioned in this post viewtopic.php?p=3499#p3499
These work great so I will look to make a X-axis replacement next.

I'm not happy with my X axis V-rail it has a tight spot in the center :( Hopefully Bart's Maker slide material will fix this when it becomes available.

Here is my total so far to give uk builders an idea of cost ( at time of purchase )

build log kits Plastic parts,Hardware kit,Mechatronics kit,Linear bearing system Total £376.94 including import vat of £65.04
E-stop switch bay £3.45
laser test switch bay £2.25
Microswitches ebay £4.00
24V psu ebay £33.99
Light object Laser lenses and mirrors £150.38 including import vat
Loctite 409 20g tube from ebay £5.54
Laser tube and psu from ebay £249.28
kableshlep cable carriers I have received these but lost the invoice :roll: ( found it £62.84)
Misumi parts came in at £220.90 this includes a bank charge my firm had to make
Assist air nozzle free (home made)
Water cooling pumm £23.75
Bart's laser controller/driver and tygon tubing £134.28

RUNNING TOTAL £1267.06 :shock:
Last edited by J45on on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.
J45on

Postby naPS » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:12 pm

I placed the cover switch on the front most rail if you are looking at the assembly. It's on the right side of the enclosure so that the front right portion of the cover depresses it when it is closed. I figured it was closest to the electronics that way, and I would have to run less wire to connect it.
naPS

Postby J45on » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:33 pm

naPS wrote:I placed the cover switch on the front most rail if you are looking at the assembly. It's on the right side of the enclosure so that the front right portion of the cover depresses it when it is closed. I figured it was closest to the electronics that way, and I would have to run less wire to connect it.

Thank you naPS I have added that now

I did some machining today and made a focus lens ring out of delrin ( to hold the 18mm lens central in the 21mm hole )
I also added a recessed o-ring to the other side to stop the lens moving
The lens does go convex side up I hope ?

My Y axis pulleys were a bit wobbly and since I am waiting for parts I decided to remedy that by replacing the threaded rod with some 1/4" silver steel and a custom collar (1/4" to 5mm) for the stepper end

Sorry it's a bit blurry

I am also waiting for a quote on the skins,they emailed me today asking " What scale are your dxf files to? " :? I'm guessing they mean metric or imperial ?
Last edited by J45on on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J45on

Postby BenJackson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:35 pm

J45on wrote:I am also waiting for a quote on the skins,they emailed me today asking " What scale are your dxf files to? " :? I'm guessing they mean metric or imperial ?

DXF is dimensionless so they need to know how big '1 unit' is in your DXF files. This is probably an export setting in whatever tool you used. Usually it's pretty easy to guess because the common options are inches and mm which are 25x different. So if they got the skins wrong they'd either get house sized or teacup sized.
BenJackson

Postby J45on » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Cheers Ben, hopefully they get back to me with a quote this week.

Started making my assist air nozzle today, slightly modified from Bart's plan with a longer collar to clamp on the laser lens head.
Also grooved it a bit to shed some weight

J45on

Postby garyacrowellsr » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:40 pm

[quote="J45on"]
Started making my assist air nozzle today, slightly modified from Bart's plan with a longer collar to clamp on the laser lens head.
Also grooved it a bit to shed some weight
[img]http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/ja2onx/airass.jpg[/img][/quote]

Do you have a drawing for your nozzle?

Gary
garyacrowellsr

Postby J45on » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Gary
I used Bart's drawing http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/drawi ... _rev_2.pdf
I just added the groves by eye, I did add a little extra to the top where it slides over the lens holder I cant remember how much though it may still be on my white board EDIT it was .248 that I added to the top
Last edited by J45on on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J45on

Next

Return to Build Logs