Jason's UK 2.x build

Post your build logs here

Mirror mounts

Postby J45on » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:32 pm

The mirrors and mounts have arrived
I think I underestimated how big these would be :lol:

Nicely made though with very fine adjustment threads and a ball bearing pivot point
The mirror holder also unscrews from the main mount

J45on

Re: Jason's UK 2.x build

Postby iGull » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi Jason

That's the same setup I have - it was all pretty easy aligning everything (even at the extremities - mine is 1200x600mm). Sadly, they don't supply a barbed nozzle for the air assist for some reason - I have a spare right angle M5 quick release (6mm tube) you can have if you're desperate.

Your laser head is different, looks like maybe an 'upgrade' - the website on Coletech still shows my version. Did you get the 63.5mm focal length lens ?
If so, I think the spot size will be slightly larger than your 50mm version - it would be good to get some feedback on that.

One thing to be aware of, the mirror mount adjusters will jam if you mount them directly on a flush surface - you need to add a shim to allow the 'square' adjustment screws to rotate - mine were just 0.5mm plastic shims cut with scissors then the M6/M4 holes cut with a hole punch to suit.

BTW, how's you noisy Axminster extractor LOL :lol:

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Postby J45on » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:58 am

the ebay seller sent me the wrong box originally
Instead of the head and mirrors I got the head and an extra focus tube with two lenses but no mirrors
The items both had the same value so we agreed that I would keep the extra lens and focus tube and I bought the mirrors at a discount

A size comparison

Thanks for the heads up on the jaming issue ;)

Here is what I got
Notice the extra length focal tube and the two lenses one is a 50.something mm and one is 80 mm
If I understand correctly the 80mm lens will have a greater depth of field useful for cutting ?

The Axminster extractor is a bit noisier than I would like but it is in another room which helps :D

It is going to be a while until I get round to installing these and my makerslide upgrade as my sister keeps pestering me to make things :roll:
J45on

Postby iGull » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:33 pm

J45on wrote:It is going to be a while until I get round to installing these and my makerslide upgrade as my sister keeps pestering me to make things :roll:

I'm surprised that you would strip down a perfectly good pair of slides (with all the rebuilding/realigning that it entails) just to install Makerslide ? I can see the point for a new build of course - the bishop/wisecarver slides are hardly cheap and nasty throwaway items !

OK on your sister wanting things built :D Isn't that what it's for :lol: :lol:

Good luck with the fancy new optics!

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Postby J45on » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 pm

iGull wrote:I'm surprised that you would strip down a perfectly good pair of slides (with all the rebuilding/realigning that it entails) just to install Makerslide ?

I am not 100 % happy with my alignment and I think I made a poor job of glueing the rails :oops:
This is just a hobby for me so if the machine is out of action for a while it won't matter.
Plus I love to tinker :D
J45on

Previous

Return to Build Logs