Blackhole 60W Laser

Post your build logs here

Re: Blackhole 60W Laser

Postby steves » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:08 pm

I installed a SS relay to the exhaust fan today as the DSP can control that now - much nicer than having it on all the time (although it would be good to have it stay on for 20s or so after cutting to clear the last of the smoke before opening the door).

Greolt

I'm just starting to get back into electronics so I can't give you a full solution, but I think a simple timer circuit based on a 555 timer would give you the delay you're after. The DSP would signal the 555 which would signal the SS relay.

There are probably even easier ways, but that's the first that comes to my mind.

Steve
steves

Re: Blackhole 60W Laser

Postby iGull » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Steve/Dave
Many thanks for the comments/suggestions.

To be honest, the delay after finish should really be a software thing on the DSP. However, my exhaust system is actually an inline fan extractor system - sans timer. I can just get the timer for the unit and set it to 20s or so - then it will hang on for 20s after switch off (like in the bathroom :D ). By the time I wire up a 555 and relay or similar to do the job, it would cost more than getting it on ebay sadly - such is the way of things.

On the refrigeration front, I have a nice radiator that was plucked from a YAG laser system - unfortunately, the pump and PID controller were broken.
I have a hole cut to fit a 120mm fan in the rear of my cabinet and I'm sure that it would be fine with that. Some extended tests done by a friend with his laser system suggest that keeping control of the water temp keeps the laser cutting/engraving levels much more consistent and I think I'll go down that route. He uses an external Chinese style cooler (refrigerated rather than air cooled) - that is probably the best bet, but not in the spirit of opensource LOL

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Previous

Return to Build Logs