Online source to get cut skin and window?

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Online source to get cut skin and window?

Postby leros » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:22 am

I sent the dxf files for the skins and window to a couple of local sign companies for quotes. One didn't respond and the other refused the order.

Is there a place online that will source and cut the material for the skins and the cover window?
leros

Re: Online source to get cut skin and window?

Postby JValliere » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:11 pm

If you haven't found a place to get them cut, locate a sheet metal shop that is local to you and ask them. I went to a HVAC company that does small jobs as filler work. Got an excellent price. On the window, look for a plastic fabrication company to help you. Since you have the dxf files, it should help with the cost.
JValliere

Postby BenJackson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:58 am

The window is just a rectangle with a few holes drilled. I had the plastic place cut it to size and then drilled the holes myself (with a special pointy acrylic bit).
BenJackson

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Don't even need a special acrylic drill bit. I use just the standard drill bits from Harbor Freight. Just take your time and don't push. Slow drill, firm pressure. You should immediately start getting a huge curl of plastic. If you're getting fluff, increase pressure slightly and decrease speed. Test first on a small scrap just to get the hang of it. I usually back my piece with a sheet of MDF and clamp next to where I'm drilling so it doesn't fracture on the other side. I also slow way down right as it's starting to punch through so it doesn't grab.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.