Super-size me! Whats the max size we can go to?

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Super-size me! Whats the max size we can go to?

Postby cnc74 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:14 pm

What is the max size that the Buildlog 2.0 can upscale to before rigidity and laser alignment issues become detrimental to the function of the machine? (and are there steps that can be taken to overcome the issues?)

:ugeek:
cnc74

Re: Super-size me! Whats the max size we can go to?

Postby Mr.ChronoM » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:04 pm

It looks hard to get correct numbers on this, no one is going to risk it I guess. There is a topic about it, but don't think there are real useable numbers around at the moment. I'm thinking about the same thing.

Something like 60*40cm would be a good start for me, but my real goal 90*60 isn't possible ...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2112
Mr.ChronoM

Postby Enraged » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Even a small increase to about 12"x 24" would let you buy off the shelf 12x24 panels of wood and plastic to cut.
Enraged

Postby TLHarrell » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:41 pm

There are always steps that can be taken, however with Makerslide specifically I'd say if you added a steel plate doubler to the back of the gantry piece you may get away with up to 30"x18" for a machine. It would take some minor redesigning to go that route but shouldn't be too far off the mark. To go any bigger, I'd just drop the Makerslide route and go with a larger extrusion for rigidity and use THK rails. Obviously added cost, and outside the scope of the Buildlog design.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby cnc74 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:32 pm

So THK linear slides are the solution? (if so any idea which ones are best?) I was going to go stock decided to go big instead so I upsized to 36"X26" to make things interesting. I need to get squared away (figurativly and literaly) and am looking for my best option for linear slides (if Maker Rails realy don't suite this size machine).

Anyone know what the folks building larger machines are using for slide systems? I am also wondering if they are using a different optical system to compensate for the extended distances?

:?:

:ugeek:
cnc74

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:47 pm

The smaller THK rail systems are sufficient to carry the laser optical head and an air assist. Benefit to THK vs round linear bearing is that you can side mount it to the gantry beam and it won't twist. THK is also much smoother than most wheeled variants. I have a unit made by Full Spectrum which uses wheels for both X and Y axis. There is a noticeable wobble to cut edges. When I have time, money and space to build a larger machine, I'll be removing this issue from the design by using THK.

For a larger machine, I'd probably be in the range of a 20x40 or 40x40 beam for the gantry.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby cnc74 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:29 pm

I am a total noob to THK's products and am hoping someone can point me to the correct size THK system for usage with the BuildLog 2.0 in mind. (I don't want to accidentally go too small because I am not familiar with the product line.)
cnc74

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.