Will this X Y frame setup work?

Extrusions/Tubing/Hinges/Etc.

Will this X Y frame setup work?

Postby wmgeorge » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:58 pm

http://www.lightobject.com/Lite-400600- ... -P715.aspx

Will the above X Y frame gantry from LightObject work in the standard 2.x project frame?
Retired guy, Central Iowa US. Master Electrician Hobby Machine and Metal Fab Shop.
wmgeorge

Re: Will this X Y frame setup work?

Postby greenvandan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:01 pm

It will not simply bolt in if that is the question. The frame of the 2.X doubles as the linear motion component, you would most likely need to modify the frame to a) fit the new X/Y assembly and b) ensure alignment of the laser beam. The area inside the 2.X frame where the X/Y lives is ~460x730 so technically it should fit but there are no true dimensions for the unit you linked to, i.e. total outside dimensions. It is doable I'm sure but I could see you making 2 Misumi orders, the first for the 2.X frame components and the second for everything you need to fit this linear stage in. It would be helpful if there was a CAD model of that unit
greenvandan

Postby wmgeorge » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:47 pm

First thank you for taking the time to reply. I realize I am new here and asking questions, but I did try to do the research before asking. I could find no dimensioned drawing for the frame. Just references to the pre-cut extrusions. Even the DXF drawings for the covers or skins just had the outside measurements, bolt holes and slots are not dimensioned.
If there is a dimensioned DXF or PDF file of the frame can someone point me to it?

So the (1 ea) MakerSlide 4/1 at 700 mm is the rail for the gantry and the (2 ea) MakerSlide 560 mm are the side tracks for the gantry?

It looks as if I need to get the OD dimensions or a CAD drawing of the LightObject X - Y table and adjust the frame as needed.
Thank you again!!
Retired guy, Central Iowa US. Master Electrician Hobby Machine and Metal Fab Shop.
wmgeorge

Postby Chankster » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:33 pm

wmgeorge wrote:Even the DXF drawings for the covers or skins just had the outside measurements, bolt holes and slots are not dimensioned.
If there is a dimensioned DXF or PDF file of the frame can someone point me to it?

DXF files are dimensioned. The outside dimensions are given for material sizing. I've cut my own skins from those DXFs so they do contain everything you need. If you want more details on the frame dimensions the design is available in a STEP format on the wiki

wmgeorge wrote:So the (1 ea) MakerSlide 4/1 at 700 mm is the rail for the gantry and the (2 ea) MakerSlide 560 mm are the side tracks for the gantry?

Correct
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?
Chankster

Postby neorazz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Im in the same boat ive had that same x y sitting here for years waiting ill measure the outside dimenstions tonight . I just ordered the frame from mitsumi with there discount and would like to use the parts i have insted of building from scratch

I know there measurements are the workspace dimensions the assembly is much larger

Also any idea how this would affect the 3rd axis lift table ?
neorazz

Postby wmgeorge » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:44 pm

Yes the outside dimensions for the skins or covers are called out, bolt hole locations, slots and rest are not. If you have ever done machine shop work, and I do, its pretty basic requirements for a build print. Even trying to use a DRO would be hopeless. IF the prints are scaled you could work off the scale if it was given. But learning the hard way laser printers and copy machines do not always hold scale. Granted we are not building the space shuttle here, but a nice dimensioned drawing and I would not be asking. Dimensioned as to total OL measurements, bolt hole sizes and centers from a given line. Same with the slots and the rest.

This is not a complaint, I was wondering IF such a print existed and I was missing it??
wmgeorge

Postby Chankster » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:48 pm

The rest of the numbers aren't specifically called out for simplicity sake. If you're doing it by hand and need the extra info, just load up a CAD program and look at the DXF. The info is all there.
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?
Chankster

Postby wmgeorge » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:27 pm

Chankster wrote:The rest of the numbers aren't specifically called out for simplicity sake. If you're doing it by hand and need the extra info, just load up a CAD program and look at the DXF. The info is all there.

I did import the DXF file and found the info I quoted above, and nothing else? Its possible the DXF did not import correctly? I will try another CAD program, once again thank for taking the time!!

I do not own Solidworks so the STEP files did me no good.
wmgeorge

Postby Chankster » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Use a dimension or tape tool in the CAD program to get the specific measurements you need.
Chankster

Postby wmgeorge » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Chankster wrote:Use a dimension or tape tool in the CAD program to get the specific measurements you need.

Imported the enclosure panel DXF into a new program, Draftsight and the same. Maybe when I get time I will do the dimensioning, figure out the screw hole and slot size, locations and publish. In the mean time I am back to square one on my quest for a pre-built or put together without fabricating brackets X-Y table. I may just purchase one and design a frame to fit using the 2.x basic design.

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer.
wmgeorge

Next

Return to Enclosures/Framing Etc.