Makerbot Air Assist Nozzle

Anything to do with air assist, vacuum tables, fume extraction and related...

Makerbot Air Assist Nozzle

Postby bdring » Wed May 19, 2010 1:46 am

Ed, who is thinking about building a laser, made this cool nozzle.
Here's a rough prototype of the nozzle that I printed this morning. Sorry it took so long to get something done. The extruder motor fried about the time we last communicated so the machine was offline for about a week. I fashioned the hose tip out of an aluminum rivet collar, but we may need to use a wider tip to allow more air flow. Let me know what other sources for barbed tube connector you would recommend. The ABS nozzle fits snuggly on the aluminum lens holder so I don’t think you’ll need any other type of fastener.

I am going to tweak a few other items and then try printing it again. The Makerbot needs a good adjustment – the output is a little off and not as clean as I would like. I’m guessing the Z-Platform needs to be leveled to correct some of the sloppiness in the extruding.

Nozzle.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Makerbot Air Assist Nozzle

Postby Tweakie » Wed May 19, 2010 6:42 am

Brilliant - The way this is going, in a couple of years time, we will all be printing stuff 8-)

A suggestion for Ed - The silencers for aircraft RC gas engines have a feedback to pressurize the fuel system and I have found the barb just right for my nozzle connection. These barbs can be purchased at most model stores.

DSC00346b.jpg

Tweakie.
Tweakie

Re: Makerbot Air Assist Nozzle

Postby Ben » Wed May 26, 2010 1:32 am

To ED:
You can cleanup those edges that didn’t align properly using a Dremel with a sanding bit.

If you tell the makerbot to start printing each layer starting inside the object it will get rid of that ridge running down the side of your printed part.
-Ben

My Lasers:
40w CO2 Laser (Chinese Glass Tube), Directed Energy Inc. 30w RF CO2 Laser (Needs Repair), Laakmann Electro-Optics 20w RF CO2 Laser (Needs Repair), 7-10w RF CO2 Laser
Coherent 12w 808nm FAP LASER DIODE
MELLES GRIOT He-Ne Laser
Ben

Return to Air Assist/Vacuum/Fume Extraction