DIY Laser Cutter On Kickstarter

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

DIY Laser Cutter On Kickstarter

Postby bdring » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:54 pm

There is a new DIY laser cutter on Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/142 ... ser-cutter

Those guys had the booth next to me at Maker Faire San Mateo. They had a crude laser cutter that had never been turned on at that time. This one looks quite a bit different.

Using MDO in a laser concerns me because of the flammability. I have seen the results of several lasers go up in flames just from the work catching fire. If the beam strikes a wall it could catch fire and the exhaust blower would feed the fire.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: DIY Laser Cutter On Kickstarter

Postby r691175002 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Are they seriously putting the tube on the gantry then powering it with a nema17 stepper? The acceleration is going to be horrific.

They went through the trouble to buy a full set of mirrors so its not like putting the tube at the back would even cost anything.

Combine the non-flying optics, MDO and lackluster linear motion and I really dislike the project.
r691175002

Fire Hazard

Postby bdring » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Every builder says holly crap! the first time they see an unfocused beam strike wood. It is instant flame (and a nice smoke ring).

Not my video...

Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Fire Hazard

Postby canadianavenger » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:32 am

bdring wrote:Every builder says holly crap! the first time they see an unfocused beam strike wood. It is instant flame (and a nice smoke ring).

Not my video...

I saw the project and immediately saw the same thing... perhaps I should send them my flickr stream detailing the carnage of my ULS laser after a fire broke out while cutting acrylic. While it was catastrophic to the machine, it remained relatively contained... using MDF is just asking to burn down your house.
canadianavenger

Re: DIY Laser Cutter On Kickstarter

Postby bdring » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:01 pm

perhaps I should send them my flickr stream detailing the carnage

Sure.

In my laser only one piece of paper ever caught fire, but I have seen the pictures of at least 6 laser cutter fires. The paper lifted a little and caught some unfocused beam. I quickly opened the cover and patted it out. If I missed it, it would have made a small mess, but if it had more fuel, it would have taken down the house.

At the Fab Labs, they have a yellow taped box on the floor in front of the laser cutters. You cannot leave the box while the machine is cutting.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion