Spam Phishing? - - Silly

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Spam Phishing? - - Silly

Postby bdring » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:53 pm

I get these requests like this all the time. They are obviously some sort of robo request. Most are usually a little less silly that this one. What is going on here? We should have a contest for the best silly response.

My name is XXXXX , and this order is an individual order and i like to make a purchase of a (Log Building) and i will be more happy if you can email me with the types and Prices that you have for sale as well....Please let me know if you do accept credit card as a form of payment, and that will be pick up at your location..Hope to read back from you soon..

How's this :)

lincoln,logs-d12c67fea71f4ad14897ea1d6371a02f_h.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Spam Phishing? - - Silly

Postby lasersafe1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:08 pm

I get them too with my business. I wonder what their end goal is. If I say "yes", I accept credit cards then what would they be suggesting next?
lasersafe1

Postby orcinus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Dear XXXXX,

Unfortunately, due to low demand, we have stopped producing (Log Buildings).
We are now exclusively in the business of making (Captain's Logs). Please find an example item attached.

Yours truly,
The Log Lady
orcinus

Postby kbob » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:30 pm

It could be as banal as hoping you'll reply, "No, we don't sell log buildings" so they can harvest a real email address of a real business owner (and get themselves into your address book to bypass your spam filter). Then they can sell that to people who will sell you bookkeeping services and aluminum siding (or log buildings!).

That's the thing about spam. It cost the spammer $0.00001 to hit you, so any payoff at all, no matter how small or unlikely, makes it profitable.
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob

Postby bdring » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:10 pm

harvest a real email address of a real business owner

I assumed that was it. They are looking for business owners that are easily suckered.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion