Buildlog.net Usage Poll

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

What is your buildlog.net start page

Poll ended at Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:17 pm

I start at the homepage (http://www.buildlog.net)
63%
I start at the forum index page.
30%
I start at a special forum page like new post or active topics
8%
I come into a specific topic from a newsreader
No votes

Total votes : 40

Buildlog.net Usage Poll

Postby bdring » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Help me tailor buildlog.net to how you use the site by taking this quick survey. I can get some of this information from page analytics, but surveys help too. I want to know where you start your buildlog.net session.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Buildlog.net Usage Poll

Postby cvoinescu » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'd really like the 'View unread posts' link that Edward has on shapeoko.com/forum. 'View new posts' is helpful, and that's my first click, but after I open those I return to the forum index page to check for sections that still have unread posts. In contrast, 'View unread posts' does exactly what I want.
cvoinescu

Postby SystemsGuy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:03 am

Same here - I'd love a "Show New Posts" sorta page!
SystemsGuy

Postby greenvandan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:33 am

I think of the home page AS the new posts page, it's not exactly the unread posts but I like how it works. I also like how photos and links to resources are all included with the forum posts, more interesting visually and easier to get to information quickly.
greenvandan

Postby Kellerkind » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:32 pm

I really like the "Recent Forum Images" Area... but each Image needs a Link to the corresponding post. It is very annoying to see a cool Image and needing to search in the forum guessing which Post it belongs to.
Kellerkind

Postby dzach » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Kellerkind wrote:I really like the "Recent Forum Images" Area... but each Image needs a Link to the corresponding post. It is very annoying to see a cool Image and needing to search in the forum guessing which Post it belongs to.

Likewise, although the "See Them All" link leads to a page with links to the posts, but why go through so many clicks when the object of desire is just in front of you and only needs to be wrapped up in a link?

Same need for a link to the post exists for the "Recent Buildlog Activity" section, where one needs to log in and go through the "add comment in the forum" procedure in order to be able to follow a link to a post in that section.

A link to the shop would be nice too.
dzach

Postby r691175002 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:06 pm

I start at buildlog.net because it is shortest to type, but I only look at the "new forum posts" section.

In all honesty, the way posts in the buildlog forum section get mirrored into buildlogs on the main site is kind of confusing because the posts often do not make sense when all the surrounding context is removed.
r691175002

Postby cvoinescu » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:49 am

r691175002 wrote:In all honesty, the way posts in the buildlog forum section get mirrored into buildlogs on the main site is kind of confusing because the posts often do not make sense when all the surrounding context is removed.

Completely agree.
cvoinescu

Return to General Discussion