RSS feeds for the forums?

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

RSS feeds for the forums?

Postby LeonS » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Are there RSS feeds for the forums? I'd like to monitor these forums the way I do those at other forums.

Thanks in advance,
Leon
LeonS

Re: RSS feeds for the forums?

Postby bdring » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:52 pm

OK,

I downloaded a mod for phpBB. I will try to add it in the next day or two.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby bdring » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:01 am

....well that was fun :shock:

My FTP program crashed halfway through the process of adding RSS and trashed the forum for a few minutes. I was able to get the basic forum running pretty quickly, but in a 'debug' mode which popped out header info, which trashed cookies, which killed any logins. Tough to fix things if you can't login. I knew enough php to manually edit out the debug lines and get it going again pretty close to the way it was.

So, I think RSS is working now. There are a couple dozen settings, but I left everything at default. Tell me if you think anything should change.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby willyinaus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:07 am

That sounds like a good way of doing things Leon how does that work and how do I set it up.
willyinaus

Postby bdring » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:17 pm

I am not a big user of RSS. I added some similar functionality to the buildlog.net home page. It shows the latest topics and recent images. I am more of a surfer than news reader so that works better for me.

http://www.buildlog.net
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby LeonS » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:06 pm

I use the "feedly" plugin for firefox but there are many other options. Essentially you find a page that has an RSS feed and you right click on the feed icon or link and choose to subscribe to it. If there are more than one RSS reader application on your system there should be the option of picking which application to use; in my case I would choose "feedly" which then gives me a chance to indicate which category I would like to put the RSS feed into. I put buildlog into my "laser" category.

So every once in a while I click the feedly button in firefox and it brings up a digest of the new items for each of the feeds to which I am subscribed. I can choose the particular feed or the category I want to view.

Feedly presents a list of the new subjects and a short summary of each post, which is often just the first 100 or so characters in the post. If I click on a subject it expands to show more of the post and if I click on the expanded subject it opens a new tab with the real page dispayed in it.

I love to surf the web but I like the idea of getting a quick update of the forums and sites that are important to me.

I have been having some trouble with the buildlog RSS feeds as far as getting updates of all the posts in all the forums. I'll keep trying.

I hope this rambling is somewhat comprehensible.

Cheers,
Leon
LeonS

Return to General Discussion