2 color Acrylic

Where you can find stuff.

2 color Acrylic

Postby bdring » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:14 am

I meant to post this a while ago. This 2 color acrylic that Inventables sells is really cool.

https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... ylic-sheet

You engrave to expose the second color. They have it in about 8 color combinations.

IMG_0358.jpg
Image by Gustavo Arriaga via. Inventables
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: 2 color Acrylic

Postby digistump » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:37 pm

This is without a doubt some of the coolest acrylic!

Has anyone found this from any other suppliers? Possibly in bigger quantities? I can't get it from any local acrylic suppliers.
Erik Kettenburg - Creator of the Digispark - the tiny, cheap, arduinoc compatible development board (digistump.com)
digistump

Postby bdring » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:51 pm

I was at Inventables the other day and saw the material. It feels more flexible and "softer" than standard acrylic, very cool looking.

You need to be careful how you engrave it so the burnt off color does not condense on earlier engraved areas. Work towards the direction of the exhaust and it should be fine.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby BenJackson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:13 am

Looks very similar to Rowmark's LaserMAX. Acrylic back with a colored foil you can lase off.
BenJackson

Postby Gadroc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:36 am

Assuming this is very similar to LaserMax you can use dish soap on the material to clean off the residue after engraving. Make sure the soap has a good coating in the engraved areas before you start scrubbing, that will help prevent the residue getting stuck back in the engrave.
Gadroc

Postby digistump » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:57 am

Awesome - LaserMAX looks like the stuff - I'll have to see if I can get a hold of that!
Erik Kettenburg - Creator of the Digispark - the tiny, cheap, arduinoc compatible development board (digistump.com)
digistump

Return to Sources for stuff