Interlock Switch

Where you can find stuff.

Interlock Switch

Postby bdring » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:07 pm

This is the switch I am considering using on the new laser. It is a 1DM401 from microswitch.

I have used this switch at work for years. It has a long throw with a lot of over travel so it is easy to adjust. It also has a self reseting "pull to cheat" feature. This allows you to manually override the switch, but it resets to normal mode once the cover is closed.

1DM401.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Interlock Switch

Postby lasersafe1 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:14 pm

We are concerned about microns with lasers, so I would go with an optical knife switch. Perhaps you have had good experience with mechanical, but the repeatability specs are not as tight.

Oops... just noticed you are talking about the cover interlock. Yes, this is nice but it still doesn't meet 21CFR1040.1 if you wanted to call this a commercial class build (even though I know your intent is to forever remain open source). In order to meet this spec, you need to have a limit switch that is not easily overridden and when overridden the cover cannot close properly. The "not easily overriden" part is usually interpreted to mean that you need a tool to install and remove the override.
lasersafe1

Re: Interlock Switch

Postby macona » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:41 am

Thats where reed switches come in. Not easy to override but with a "tool" being a couple magnets you can.

The chinese laser we had used two microswitches, one on each side of the lid.
macona

Return to Sources for stuff