Helios Hot Bed

General discussion of 3D printers

Re: Helios Hot Bed

Postby rickmellor » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Good heat bed + glass + kapton (sometimes + glue stick).
rickmellor

Postby flickerfly » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:20 pm

glue stick? that's the first I've heard of that. Do you just put a layer down before a print like ABS juice?

Also, painter's tape has been working well for me. It's much more available compared to Kapton and I believe the price is better also. Will Kapton tape make that much more of a difference?
flickerfly

Postby rickmellor » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:15 pm

I always found that painters tape would stick to the parts too much. With kapton the parts just simply pop off once they cool down enough.

I use the glue stick in place of abs glue ... it still basically welds the parts on, but can be washed off with water. I use the glue on top of kapton ... haven't tried it directly on the glass. This stuff is great on larger parts where warping is an issue... it basically eliminates it. Large parts can take a lot of effort to remove though ... I use a sharp putty knife and a hammer. Stuff tends to pop off with one good whack.

This is the stick I use but I think you could use a generic as well if you find them at the dollar store: http://goo.gl/JwQ51

-Rick
rickmellor

Postby flickerfly » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Interesting. I have those same glue sticks around the house... somewhere. Tracking it down will be a good task for my daughter. ;-)

I'd like to print directly on the glass as the heat bed is just so pretty that it should be displayed instead of covered in tape. Also, I'm a cheap skate. I'll have to try some of these.

I have a sharp but thick putty knife type tool that has been doing great getting things off the painter's tape. So far that hasn't been a challenge.
flickerfly

Postby rickmellor » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Kapton is transparent ... makes the glass look like yellow-tinted shooter's glasses.
rickmellor

Postby flickerfly » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Okay, I've only ever seen it in rolls. Hmm... Now I have to weight cheap and pretty here.
flickerfly

Postby rickmellor » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:51 pm

If you try it, this tip works well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... NQ0WhonnBM

I use 220mm rolls so I cover it with one piece. It's a pain with the larger pieces though and you really need a friend to help.
rickmellor

Postby blah_59 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:25 pm

I don't like the painters tape either and kapton seemed a bit spendy to me (and I'm lazy and don't like changing it out). So, the last couple of months I've been using a cheap can of "Super Hold Hair Spray". A thin layer sprayed on top of heated (or unheated) glass, it works like a champ.
blah_59

Previous

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion