Helios Hot Bed

General discussion of 3D printers

Re: Helios Hot Bed

Postby orcinus » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:18 pm

bdring wrote:It has a software aspect to it, that some people may be interested in.

Tease.

Is it polar in nature by any chance? :mrgreen:
orcinus

Postby mikegrundvig » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:50 am

Hi all; just got my heated bed and X3 this afternoon. Woohoo! I didn't think it'd shipped yet. It's totally gorgeous. It's oozes quality like a sick kid oozes snot. Really impressive and well worth the wait.

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby royco » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:01 am

@bart can you let me in on that little "secret"? :) I wont tell. :lol:

@mike nice to hear you got it. I tried to print the labels in large batches but didnt shipped right away so the tracking somehow got stuck or messed up.

I think I just have a few more beds to ship out. I'll take care of them when I get back on Monday. If I somehow missed shipping yours even with my super efficient shipping system (NOT) in place, please let me know right away via PM or email.

Thanks

roy
royco

Postby hansk1990 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:36 pm

Hey guys,
Just about to push the go button on an order for an Azteeg x1 from panucatt and wondering what the final say was on these hot beds. It bumps up the shipping costs considerably when shipping to Australia, not to mention they are a bit more than the ones I can pick up from other sites, however I live by the mantra that good and cheap don't come in the same sentence, so would happily spend the extra money if its worth it all. Any suggestions??
Thanks for your help!
Scott
hansk1990

Postby blah_59 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:12 pm

I've been using mine since November-ish and really like it. This is my first printer and haven't tried any other beds so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it does work really well.
blah_59

Postby rickmellor » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:16 pm

The Helios is a major improvement over the Prusa design. Thermistor placement is better and provides a more stable reading that tracks glass temperature better (use thermal epoxy!). Wire connections are more solid with built-in strain relief, and the additional thickness + included insulation allow it to hit the target temperature faster than the Prusa models. Also, the little blinkenlight (pre-installed) is a nice touch. All that plus how sexxy it looks and it easily beats the others.
rickmellor

Postby flickerfly » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Yeah, I'm a fan too. Do the Prusa beds come with the ceramic insulators on the bottom? I thought that was a nice touch I didn't notice elsewhere. This bed just feels sturdy and quality, same as the X3 I got. Panucatt's stuff is quality.
flickerfly

Postby blah_59 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:05 pm

Agreed. And Roy, the heart and soul of Panucatt, is a class act.
blah_59

Postby rickmellor » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:28 am

I've never seen a Prusa heater come with insulation but you certainly can/should install it. For those with raised/leveled beds it is recommended. The Printrbots (garbage) mount it directly to a piece of wood so that provides the necessary insulation.

Another thing about the Prusas ... the wires are on the wrong end for our needs if you want the words to be right-side-up. You end up having to run longer than necessary leads just so it isn't janky looking.

And +1 on Roy. That dude didn't sleep through his customer relations class. I think his integrity is reflected in his products.

-Rick
rickmellor

Postby hansk1990 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:56 am

Awesome guys, thanks for those reports they've been really helpful! My experience with 3D printers is relatively minimal, but if theres one thing I've learnt its that warping is a real nuisance and a good heatbed would help to minimise that. My choice is made! haha
- Scott
hansk1990

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion