Modification to Marlin wanted

General discussion of 3D printers

Modification to Marlin wanted

Postby tmccafferty » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:55 pm

I am using Marlin on a Ramps 1.4. I would like to make the following change to Marlin.

Any time the extruder heat mode is enabled, I would like to turn on an currently unused output. I can follow a bit of C, but am no expert by a long shot. I know how to set up the output in pins.h. I need to know where the code is that deals with the extruder being in the heat mode.

I want to use it to turn on a light or extruder fan. I have a seperate otput driver to handle the current.

Can anyone give me any pointers?
tmccafferty

Re: Modification to Marlin wanted

Postby SystemsGuy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:56 pm

You just may be in luck - the following was committed 4 days ago....

This change allows fan outputs to automatically turn on/off when the associated extruder temperature is above/below a threshold temperature. Multiple extruders can be assigned to the same pin in which case the fan will turn on when any selected extruder is above the threshold.

This feature is very useful as the fans will automatically startup regardless of whether you use manual controls or are printing a Gcode file. Today software controlled fans are normally only automatically driven through your slicer configuration, which means you either usually need to remember to turn the fan on manually when you turn on the extruders (if you are using manual controls) or like most people, just wire them to turn on permanently which is noisy.
SystemsGuy

Postby tmccafferty » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Sweet!!!!

What does "committed" mean. Is it in a new version or is it something that will be worked on?
tmccafferty

Postby orcinus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:48 pm

It's not committed yet.
It looks like the pull request hasn't been accepted yet:

https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/pull/390
orcinus

Postby tmccafferty » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:57 am

Could someone give me an update on this?

If I follow the link, it appears to me that this enhancement has been completed. However, I don't really know how this software development process works.

Thanks,

I would really like to use this feature.
tmccafferty

Postby brnrd » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Meanwhile, you can just enter the command to turn the fan on in the start gcode and the command to turn it off in the end gcode settings of slic3r (Printer Settings, Custom G-code).

Here's what the wiki says.

M42 in Marlin/Sprinter
Example: M42 P7 S255
M42 switches a general purpose I/O pin.

Just replace "7" with the output pin that you're using to control your fan. S0 turns it off and S255 turns it on maximum.
brnrd

Postby tmccafferty » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:44 pm

OK, thanks
tmccafferty

Postby tmccafferty » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:51 pm

How can you tell when that mod has been published? It would be more convenient than gcode because the fan would come on also when you turn on the extruder heat fron the printer interface and have not started the print.
tmccafferty

Postby brnrd » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:00 am

That's true. But once you get your printer tuned, you don't really need to spend much time extruding in air manually. I just normally warm up the bed and set my nozzle to the bed temperature. Then I load the gcode to pronterface, copy or upload the file to the sdcard while it's warming up, and then click sdprint on pronterface. In that mode, turning the fan on in the start and turning it off in the end is sufficient.

I'm not sure how to tell if it's been pulled except by reading this forum as well as the reprap forum and the irc channel. :)
brnrd

Postby orcinus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:38 am

Just follow the breadcrumb trail :)

The last note says:
Closing pull request - replaced by decouple request #409

But request #409 is still open:
https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/pull/409

Keep an eye on it and, once it reads something like:

... you'll know it's been merged into Marlin.
orcinus

Next

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion