Favorite Filament Supplier

General discussion of 3D printers

Re: Favorite Filament Supplier

Postby Alup » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:40 pm

The best filament comes from Toner Plastics. Period no more discussion!

Lots of retailers and online suppliers get filament from them. Just to mention a few: Onlinefilament.com, Makerbot, Deltabot, Inventables.com, midwesttechnology.com, MicroCenter, pushplastic.com, harvester11(on ebay), filaco.com. The list goes on and on. Toner Plastics has been making ABS/Nylon craft lace for years so them re-tooling over to make filament was nothing. They nailed it. I will not buy from any other manufacture!

Most generally you can spot plastic made by Toner Plastics just by looking at the spool. Two things on the Spool set it apart from other companies.

1. They almost ALWAYS have a number on them that is 6/7 digits long and starts with 97.
2. They ALL have one side larger than the other with the tube recessed in on the spool (think makerbot spool).
Alup

Postby dave3d » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:37 pm

blah_59 wrote:
Miguel, can I call you Miguel? I feel like we've really bonded now that I've replied to each of your 7 posts.

Ha Ha Ha :lol:
dave3d

Postby blah_59 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:09 am

Alup is right on the money. I just got 3 more spools from onlinefilament.com last week and after reading his post I took a better look at them, sure enough it say's Toner Plastic right on the label.

Dave,

I was in pretty rare form that night, not sure if I drank too much or not enough but I jumped on hear to catch up on everything and his posts just nudged me over the edge... :lol:
blah_59

Postby Alup » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:22 am

PushPlastic.com has Toner Plastics Filament for the cheapest. For just 29.00 with free shipping, cant beat that. I have seen the same plastic range from 29.00 all the way up to 49.99 and higher. Its all the same stuff just some suppliers (cough cough makerbot), Feel the need to rape people on filament prices.

Also if you just like buying from onlinefilament.com Buy it from their Amazon account because on amazon onlinefilament sells it for 29.99 a roll.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A9G7ECCCCAKFP
Alup

Postby dave3d » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:25 pm

I need to find some good 1.75mm black ABS filament in the UK.
As I posted here and on the Reprap forum the black doesn't extrude as well because it is full of "regrinds".
Other colours are OK.
dave3d

Postby Alup » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:20 am

dave3d wrote:I need to find some good 1.75mm black ABS filament in the UK.
As I posted here and on the Reprap forum the black doesn't extrude as well because it is full of "regrinds".
Other colours are OK.

side question: how the heck do you get abs to stick the the platform?
Alup

Postby blah_59 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:55 am

Alup wrote:
dave3d wrote:I need to find some good 1.75mm black ABS filament in the UK.
Other colours are OK.

side question: how the heck do you get abs to stick the the platform?

Heat at ~110C and hairspray
blah_59

Postby dave3d » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:31 pm

I must admit I haven't had much success with hairspray other than small prints. Likewise Elmers glue.

For ABS printing, I use ABS juice on top of Kapton tape at 110 deg C. I squash the first layer down on the bed by manually lowering the Z couplers right at the start. I judge it by eye so the layer is quashed flat.

I have also found diluting the juice works even better. Take fully saturated juice and cut it back to about 50% with more acetone. Sometimes it sticks too well and you have to let it cool right down.
dave3d

Postby Alup » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:32 pm

dave3d wrote:I must admit I haven't had much success with hairspray other than small prints. Likewise Elmers glue.

For ABS printing, I use ABS juice on top of Kapton tape at 110 deg C. I squash the first layer down on the bed by manually lowering the Z couplers right at the start. I judge it by eye so the layer is quashed flat.

I have also found diluting the juice works even better. Take fully saturated juice and cut it back to about 50% with more acetone. Sometimes it sticks too well and you have to let it cool right down.

Yup that worked. Never thought to use Kapton and Juice. I also diluted it down as well. When the print stuck very well. That is the first time I have been able to get ABS to stick.
Alup

Postby fma » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:44 am

What about Smart ABS? Is it really a different product than standard ABS? I used some, and find that it is better (no warp, no cracks), but I don't know if it is because it's smart, or because the supplier has better products than others...

A lot of distributors now have some smart ABS, but it is rather expensive...

What do you think about?
Frédéric
fma

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion