Jamming Fix for QU-BD extruder!!! DELTA STYLE!

General discussion of 3D printers

Re: Jamming Fix for QU-BD extruder!!! DELTA STYLE!

Postby Alup » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:06 am

cvoinescu wrote:I am pretty sure that the problem with the QU-BD extruder is the QU-BD extruder.

Well. That is probobly true. However, I do not like the wades extruder because its freaking huge. I really wish that the QU-BD extruder would just work. Its a simple design that makes sense. Just it has ALOT of issues apparently.

Are there any other extruders out there that have the smallness/simpleness that the QU-BD does?

Hell, the QU-BD extruder has 7 hardware pieces and 4 electronic elements.
On the other hand the Wades or variant has the issue of being flipping huge and unsightly, Also, it has 21 parts not including the hotend or the motor.
Alup

Postby cvoinescu » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 am

The Wade extruder is over-engineered (or under-engineered, if you go the Antoine de Saint-Exupéry way: "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"), but it works very reliably. And once you've put it together (which you do only once and takes minutes), the number of parts should not matter much. The gearing helps push 3 mm filament down more reluctant hot ends, but I'm pretty sure that with a smooth-as-butter hot end such as the J-Head, a direct-drive with a small diameter drive wheel will work reliably too.
cvoinescu

Postby dave3d » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:50 pm

The large gear wheel makes the Wade look big but it is an advantage to see it going round. You know it is working.
I have gone the Bowden route and bolted two mirror image Wade extruders to a Mitsumi extrusion across the top. I am still struggling with getting twin extruders to work properly though.

The only job the extruder has to do is push filament. I am using 1.75mm and the amount of force it develops is quite considerable. Another advantage is I can print all my own extruder parts. Next job is to do my own hobbed bolts.
dave3d

Postby Alup » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:37 am

Well, I got my extruder working again... Funny actually...

So, I went to my dad's to get more parts (eg. heatblock, and Tube) and ended up building a non working one that leaked all over my hotend/thermistor and ruined the thermistor. Well i took the damn thing apart AGAIN and started cleaning it up. In the process of getting the new tube out of the hotend i snapped the tube in half. I was could not belive it. I said to hell with it and put it back together with the ptfe tube protruding from both ends of the tube. Well.... IT WORKS NOW. I have no freaking idea why but it its working absolutely beautifully. Weird right?
Alup

Postby Alup » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:52 pm

Well, I have this extruder dialed in properly FINALLY!

http://youtu.be/nt62QWDkRFo 25mm cube at 300mm/ps

http://youtu.be/9TkTtEKBCN8 back housing for a 12864 LCD at 125mm/ps
Alup

Postby blah_59 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:23 am

Just using the naked eye it looks like those speeds are fast but about the same. The 300mm/s probably isn't getting close to 300 either because the cube isn't big enough for the head to reach top speed or there is a minimal layer time set in the slicing settings (usually in the cooling section).

It's still printing pretty darn fast, good job!
blah_59

Postby Alup » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:12 am

blah_59 wrote:Just using the naked eye it looks like those speeds are fast but about the same. The 300mm/s probably isn't getting close to 300 either because the cube isn't big enough for the head to reach top speed or there is a minimal layer time set in the slicing settings (usually in the cooling section).

It's still printing pretty darn fast, good job!

So there is a limit on how fast I can print. Here is the deal. To print faster I have to increase the heat. NOW At a certain temp PLA starts to burn and will turn black. So at 125mm/ps I have the temp set to 210c and it prints nicely. If I crank the speed up I have to crank the heat up as well. At 300mm/ps It was starting to burn the PLA.

I'm Sure that if I used Black PLA I could crank it up higher however... I don't want to melt the PTFE Tube... lol
Alup

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:10 pm

There's always going to be some bottleneck somewhere in the system. Good to see it's not in the printer, but in the ability to transfer heat to the material. Going to be difficult to get past that one. How's your print quality coming out at these speeds?
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby Alup » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:13 am

TLHarrell wrote:There's always going to be some bottleneck somewhere in the system. Good to see it's not in the printer, but in the ability to transfer heat to the material. Going to be difficult to get past that one. How's your print quality coming out at these speeds?

Pretty good. I have fine parameters set to 60. The funny thing is... Because I have the printer calibrated so well.. I am actually picking up very minor waviness in the actual makerslide. weird right?
Alup

Postby cvoinescu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:29 pm

I would have thought MakerSlide was quite straight. If there's waviness, it's probably from the V-wheels or even the bearings, or, more likely, from other sources (belt pulleys and idlers, the belt itself, leadscrews). There can be quantization noise from the fact that you use a stepper in the extruder (it's more visible with direct-drive systems); sometimes you "see" the teeth of the drive wheel in the extruded filament; and if the PID control for the extruder temperature over-corrects and oscillates, you may see that. All of these seem to me more likely than waviness of MakerSlide itself (no MakerSlide that I've seen was uneven, not even a little).
cvoinescu

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion