Jamming Fix for QU-BD extruder!!! DELTA STYLE!

General discussion of 3D printers

Re: Jamming Fix for QU-BD extruder!!! DELTA STYLE!

Postby Alup » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:31 am

cvoinescu wrote:I would have thought MakerSlide was quite straight. If there's waviness, it's probably from the V-wheels or even the bearings, or, more likely, from other sources (belt pulleys and idlers, the belt itself, leadscrews). There can be quantization noise from the fact that you use a stepper in the extruder (it's more visible with direct-drive systems); sometimes you "see" the teeth of the drive wheel in the extruded filament; and if the PID control for the extruder temperature over-corrects and oscillates, you may see that. All of these seem to me more likely than waviness of MakerSlide itself (no MakerSlide that I've seen was uneven, not even a little).

Well. Now that you say that i am willing to bet its a pid issue. However, There are a few very tiny nicks in my x axis makerslide bar that I do pick up in the prints. Going to have to swap that out eventually.
Alup

Postby dave3d » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:59 pm

I put a nick in my X axis Makerslide. It is very soft. I carefully filed it out with a small flat file and it is OK now.
dave3d

Postby Alup » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:24 pm

I have discovered that it is very soft as well.. I also have learned that a slight amount of lube needs to be applied to the makerslide. When I say slight I mean like super thin lubricant like what you get out of Pneumatic oil. Otherwise It will wear the wheels down fast.

I am waiting to take delivery of an order of V-Wheels to replace all 14 on my printer...
Alup

Postby cvoinescu » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Alup wrote:I have discovered that it is very soft as well.. I also have learned that a slight amount of lube needs to be applied to the makerslide. When I say slight I mean like super thin lubricant like what you get out of Pneumatic oil. Otherwise It will wear the wheels down fast.

That is very interesting, and quite contrary to what all my experience has shown so far. Firstly, I'm not sure what your V-wheels are made of, but the right material for them is acetal (Delrin, POM), which is one of the best plastics for this application, if not the best. It has excellent abrasion resistance, better than practically all commonly used polymers. It's also quite tough, and often regains its original shape if overstressed, which is good if you accidentally over-tighten the V-wheels. (It's also manufacturer-friendly: it's easy to machine, and reasonably priced.) V-wheels can run on MakerSlide for a long time without noticeable wear. It's more likely that the bearings will fail first.

Secondly, any liquid lubricant will attract dust, which causes more problems than it solves. There are solid lubricants too, but really, MakerSlide and the Delrin V-wheels don't need any lubrication.

It is quite possible that whoever made your kit skimped on the extrusion of MakerSlide. It's supposed to be made of 6105 alloy (or the very similar 6005 or 6005A alloys), which is quite tough (close to mild steel). However, 6063 alloy is widely used for extruded parts. The raw material is only a little cheaper, but it's much easier to extrude, which means the extrusion die is cheaper and lasts longer, and the press can be run faster and produce more material in the same amount of time. 6063 alloy is significantly softer than 6105, so MakerSlide made of that would dent much easier than that made of the right stuff.
cvoinescu

Postby orcinus » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:19 pm

FWIW, i haven't had a single V-wheel wear out on me in over two years now.
But one did split open.

I.e. the failure mode is rarely nicking and abrasion (they're actually "self healing" as cvoinescu stated, and will often lose a "bump" created by overtightening if you loosen them and leave them overnight), but it instead fails "spectacularly" - it either works or just explodes on you.

PS: i use thick grease on them, applied thinly, in an attempt (perhaps misplaced) to even out any small surface irregularities. It seems to work to a point, as i get noticably less friction when i move the carriage by hand.
orcinus

Postby Alup » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:36 pm

cvoinescu wrote:It is quite possible that whoever made your kit skimped on the extrusion of MakerSlide. It's supposed to be made of 6105 alloy (or the very similar 6005 or 6005A alloys), which is quite tough (close to mild steel). However, 6063 alloy is widely used for extruded parts. The raw material is only a little cheaper, but it's much easier to extrude, which means the extrusion die is cheaper and lasts longer, and the press can be run faster and produce more material in the same amount of time. 6063 alloy is significantly softer than 6105, so MakerSlide made of that would dent much easier than that made of the right stuff.

Haha, Kit... Nope we built this from scratch. Makerslide was bought from Inventables. You guys have to understand I print ALOT My printer runs nearly 24/7 and it has been that way for a little over a year and a half. The delrin V-Wheels did not so much as "wear our" as they did jut build up a ton of gunk in them. Also the Delrin V-Wheels I had would leave black shit all over my makerslide. My guess is just a bad set up wheels. Also Delrin does not really ware out it just breaks whens its had its time. The 2 delrin z-nuts on my printer have split in half due to use

Also what is TOO tight when speaking of the wheels against the rail? I have mine so that the x-carriage and the y-carriage are not able to tilt back and fourth. The reason for them being tighter than what I guess you speak of is this, I hate when I have just got the bed level and then I bump the damn thing and it goes un-level again. Also I have noticed that when I have them tight like this that they do not leave black marks on my rail (well the new wheels do not anyways) I have had bearings fail and have had to replace 4 of them so far.

I have also had stepper drivers burn-out, an arduino board fry, An IDC connector Melt, Stepper motor go bad, Screws Loosen, 3 Power supplies fail, and lots of extruder issues until recently. I'm not saying that I am doing it wrong, I have built about 4 printers now and I am pretty good at it. I just have run this one to the point of breaking and have had to fix it.
Alup

Previous

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion