AstroPrint software platform for cloud based wireless 3DP

General discussion of 3D printers

AstroPrint software platform for cloud based wireless 3DP

Postby arroyo » Sun May 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Hey Guys,

We would love to hear your feedback and get your suggestions for the AstroPrint 3DP software platform. We are over 220% funded on kickstarter right now, so delivery is imminent! We are looking for ideas for feature additions, as well as concerns 3DP users may have.

The kickstarter explains a lot more than I can in a paragraph: http://AstroPrint.com/Kickstarter

In general, AstroPrint has two parts:
1) Open source software that goes on a Linux board such as a Raspberry Pi, BBB, or pcDuino. This is a heavily modified fork of Octoprint. Once installed on a board (we sell pre-installed boards for those that do not want to do it themselves) you simply connect to it via wifi or internet, and interact with the printer though our interface.

2) AstroPrint.com - This is our cloud slicer and file management system. This is also free, unless you wish to store over 10GB of files. Our cloud slicer is currently Slic3r wrapped in an API, and we will make sure it is always the up to date version. We will be adding Cura and other slicers in the near future. So, if you are on your tablet or phone and you wish to slice an .STL, you can do it right then, even though the actual processing is occurring on our cloud servers.

I could say much more, but this is getting pretty long winded already...
arroyo

Re: AstroPrint software platform for cloud based wireless 3D

Postby orcinus » Mon May 26, 2014 12:48 am

Cloud based slicing means less control over slicing. I print from SD cards, not over USB because of reliability.
Also, typically, 3D printers are fairly immobile pieces of equipment and i rarely get the urge to print something while eating my breakfast or sitting on the toilet.

I'm sure i'm missing something - what are the advantages?
orcinus

Postby DTaylor » Mon May 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi Orcinus,
I'm not sure what you mean by 'less control.' Our slicer is Slic3r, on a cloud server. This means that you can do everything you can do with Slic3r. We will offer pre-sets for Slic3r for beginner that want them, but power users can manipulate every setting in Slic3r.

In addition, we'll be adding Cura and other slicers in the very near future.

In regards to reliability: Once you hit print, the gcode is sent to the Linux board via wifi (Raspberry Pi, BBB, pcDuino, AstroBox, etc) and stored there through the entire print. This board is connected to the printer via USB. If you had some problem with your computer, it will not cause a failed print because your computer is now out of the equation.

In regards to your last part. I get the urge to print something while at breakfast all the time! But seriously, a lot of people want to monitor their prints without having to be by the machine. In addition, many people are using laptops instead of desktops with their printers. If you have to keep your laptop connected to a printer for 6 hours and cannot move more than 6 feet away, it's irritating.
DTaylor

Postby orcinus » Mon May 26, 2014 10:07 pm

DTaylor wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by 'less control.' Our slicer is Slic3r, on a cloud server. This means that you can do everything you can do with Slic3r. We will offer pre-sets for Slic3r for beginner that want them, but power users can manipulate every setting in Slic3r.

Hypothetically, let's say the version of Slic3r on your server craps out while processing a particular mesh or it has a bug that's not present in older versions, or someone simply prefers the output of a different version - in this case, they're left stranded with whatever is in the cloud. On top of that, if someone wants to use a commercial slicer (Netfabb, KISSlicer Pro, Simplify 3D) they can't and never will (unless you figure out some kind of a licensing deal).

DTaylor wrote:In regards to reliability: Once you hit print, the gcode is sent to the Linux board via wifi (Raspberry Pi, BBB, pcDuino, AstroBox, etc) and stored there through the entire print. This board is connected to the printer via USB. If you had some problem with your computer, it will not cause a failed print because your computer is now out of the equation.

It's usually not the PC that's the problem. It's the USB itself. For one, USB is typically not very robust w/ regards to EMI. A lot of people with 3D printers in workshops tend to avoid printing directly via USB for that very reason. Besides that, serial over USB is much slower than printing from a card and often leads to artifacting with complex, organic and/or textured prints (due to buffer underruns).

DTaylor wrote:In regards to your last part. I get the urge to print something while at breakfast all the time! But seriously, a lot of people want to monitor their prints without having to be by the machine. In addition, many people are using laptops instead of desktops with their printers. If you have to keep your laptop connected to a printer for 6 hours and cannot move more than 6 feet away, it's irritating.

Heh, i guess it's a matter of personal preferences and habits. I have an old laptop sitting by the printer at all times and i usually leave the printer unattended once the print is under way. But i understand there's probably people with wildly different setups and printing routines.

There is one aspect of your project i see as having a LOT of potential, and that's user friendliness and bringing 3D printing to a wider audience, so even if it's not my cup of tea - i like the gist of it.
orcinus

Return to 3D Printer General Discussion