Interface PCB / Stepper Drivers Survey

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

What interface board and stepper configuration do think is best (read blurb below first)

Current Interface PCB and Keling Style Drivers
5%
Current Interface PCB and other drivers
No votes
Current PCB and G540
No votes
New Interface with Pololu drivers
89%
New Interface PCB with other drivers
5%
None...I am doing my own solution.
No votes
Other (detail in topic reply)
No votes

Total votes : 19

Re: Interface PCB / Stepper Drivers Survey

Postby bdring » Sat May 07, 2011 12:28 pm

It looks like the Pololu is the clear favorite so far. I spent some time thinking about phasing the current board out. The Pololu drivers are nice, but they are not for everyone. Some people may want higher resolution and some people might want more power for a larger or heavier machine from Gecko type drivers.

Since the Pololu drivers plug into the board, this allows a few options. A small daughter board could be placed on the header connectors. These connectors have all the essentials like the step and direction signals, motor enable and +5V/+3V.

The schmitt trigger does not have much output power (5.2mA). I was worried if they could power opto isolated drivers. I talked to Gecko and the G540 only pulls about 1mA per pin, so that one will fine.

The Keling style drivers probably pull more based on the schematic they give. I tried to find a stronger schmitt trigger, without much luck. The one I use is a non inverting type which are less popular. Then I remembered that many of the opto isolated Keling style drivers use inverted logic. I can get an inverting schmitt trigger with the same pinout that will do 25-30mA. The 3 stepper terminal blocks already on the board could probably be used for the keling drivers by rerouting the signals via daughter card.

KL4030_schem.JPG

The new board board also has the relay drivers and PWM/Pot power mode, so it sounds like the clear way to go. I sent an email to Pololu to see what my options were for selling them directly

Thanks for all the input.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby dirktheeng » Sat May 07, 2011 2:29 pm

Sign me up Bart, I want one! I hope these things are up and running in a week or so. I think this will cut the price of the electronics significantly. Might I suggest changing the motor output connectors to some quick disconnect style instead of a screw terminal. This would be useful for setting up various configurations such as a rotary axis.
dirktheeng

Postby bdring » Sat May 07, 2011 2:46 pm

On my test board I use pluggable terminal blocks for the stepper motor. The water switch connection will probably be one also. The relay and power terminal will stay stay screw terminal.

This keeps with the removeable electronics module concept. Anything the comes out together is a more permanent connection. Anything the comes from other places will be unplaggable. The screw terminal blocks are about 1/5 the cost, so I want to save a little cost. The footprint is compatible with both types so feel free to sub pluggables.

As I have said before "everyone complains about the cost in the beginning, but then want to gold plate everything later"

Note: Never unplug a stepper motor "hot". It will usually fry the driver.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby dirktheeng » Sat May 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Sounds good. When can I put an order in for one? I have a few other things I need to order from you too.
dirktheeng

Previous

Return to 2.x Laser Support