Suggestion: Small scale "mechanical demonstrator" 2.x Laser

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Suggestion: Small scale "mechanical demonstrator" 2.x Laser

Postby BenJackson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Bart,

I think you should build a suitcase-sized 2.x laser. Shrink only the linear dimensions (ideally maintaining aspect ratio) but keep all of the included mechanical components the same. There wouldn't be room for electronics, or the real laser, but it would be easy to carry/ship and would demonstrate the MakerSlide movement. It could even have a laser pointer in a special mount to show the beam path. You could leave out the steppers, belts, possibly even parts of the structure to reduce weight. Sort of a caricature of the original rather than a true miniature (with every part scaled).

The result would be something any of us could take to local maker meetings or hackerspaces to demonstrate what the 2.x Laser is about. We could ship it around on some schedule to anyone willing to promote the 2.x Laser.
BenJackson

Re: Suggestion: Small scale "mechanical demonstrator" 2.x L

Postby bdring » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:43 pm

That is not a bad idea. I wanted to test the Makerslide conversion at the same time a local 'Maker Faire' event occurred so I built a "travel laser'. It is basically a full sized unit without a tube or cooling system. It runs off Mach3 for the demos. It is robust enough for car transport. I am willing to drive it around to local events.

I will think about the smaller version. I can probably leave the skins off to keep the weight down. One piece of skin could be added to show the material. A full assembled gantry also might be enough to demo the basic concept. and be easier to ship.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to 2.x Laser Support