MakerSlide CNC router

Discuss ideas and construction techniques here.

Re: MakerSlide CNC router

Postby mikegreen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:50 pm

sports.racer wrote: I have one of those too. Now I'm going to build a laser and this R&P looks intriguing. Wonder about controlling backlash with it.

I need some more V Wheels before I can attempt to measure what the backlash looks like on the rack and pinion configuration. The idea behind the pressure plate and socket cap screw is to push the pinion into the rack. I'm not sure that the pressure plate and cap screw are really necessary since I seem to be able to get good rack and pinion engagement just by slightly tightening the screws holding the stepper then pushing the pinion into the rack. I can give you a "how it feels" sense of the backlash. If the pinion is not firmly against the rack, you can push the X support plate back and forth and feel backlash. Once the pinion is firmly engaged with the rack, and the screws holding the stepper are tight, I can't feel any backlash; even when I push the plate back and forth with some force.
mikegreen

Postby mikegreen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:09 pm

On the topic of backlash:

For the Z axis, I try to minimize backlash by putting thread clamps and thrust bearings on each side of the lead-screw.

P1000426.JPG

This seems a standard way to deal with the problem and, even with the plastic parts, appears to be reasonably effective and rigid. The photo shows that the ability of 3D printed plastic to absorb the grease that gets on your hand from the socket cap screws is impressive. Once I get to final versions of the parts, coloring might be an option. Ponoko has some information about using RIT dye on the plastic http://support.ponoko.com/entries/20066883-rit-fabric-dye-on-durable-plastic. The picture also shows that this is not the final version of the Z bearing holder. I had to use a burr and rotary tool to deal with not leaving enough space for the thread clamp. The plastic printed parts are surprisingly strong. It was not trivial to cut through the base.
mikegreen

Postby sports.racer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to make some time to cut some aluminum by the end of this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.
sports.racer

Previous

Return to Designs and Design Ideas