Floating Z axis design

Discuss ideas and construction techniques here.

Floating Z axis design

Postby jorgemm » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Hello,

my name is Jorge and I am from Spain. I have developing a plasma cut table and I am taking as a reference many internet projects. Your website and blog are serving me great help, also the YouTube videos.

The porpuse of this query is the floating Z axis construction but I am very worried because I do not understand how to set the limit switches in order to obtain the height reference. According with the information of internet, one switch should be in the top of the axis (this would be "zero machine" Z = 0), and another switch should be in the bottom of the axis (this should be "zero material"). My problem is understanding what procedure Mach3 uses for set the zero of material and also, I need the general idea for the control of Z axis.

It is further assumed that this I have to set it in mach3, but do not know how to do this.

You have designed a Z floating axis for plasma (YouTube video) and I would appreciate you could help me with this (basis, sketch, ...). I will send you a photo with my Z axis as soon as possible.

I can assure that I have read over and over the manual and I do not get anything clear.

Thanks and regards.
jorgemm

Re: Floating Z axis design

Postby bdring » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:13 pm

I only used one limit switch at the top. The Z carriage is free to slide up and down on a track. If it slides down it bumps into a plate, so if plate moves up it can lift the floating section. If it slides ( or gets pushed) up, it triggers a limit switch. The sliding part is heavy so it always tries to slide as far as it can go. Mach3 knows the distance from when the tip contacts until the limit switch is triggered.

This video shows how it works.

Here is an image of the assembly.

pl_z.png
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Floating Z axis design

Postby jorgemm » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Hello bdring,
sorry for the delay in my reply.
I think I have understood the procedement. I am going to aply this basis for my Z axis. It will be lighly different because I have motor for Z too. But the system of the switches position will be the same.
I want to post a image with the final result when I finish the axis.
I wish I do not have problems with the construction....
Regards
jorgemm

Return to Designs and Design Ideas