BuildLog CNC Router?

Discuss ideas and construction techniques here.

Re: BuildLog CNC Router?

Postby steppenshoe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:32 pm

Yes possibly as you say, possibly they will be better then MDF, drawer slide and skate bearing routers, etc. I think more like on par with them. For a larger format router I am not convinced at all. I am not a expert and only have 3 machines from scratch using V rails, but what I see in my shop the Vrails in aluminum in the makers current size is not going to cut it. Then again we can be talking different animals here. I could never imagine replacing my current set ups with aluminum V.

The wheels are a cause for concern, yes I agree and that in itself rules out the maker slide becasue I do not think using steel bearings is advisable on the aluminum Vrails or they may not last very long.

Another issue with the 3 builds I have done with V rails is that I could never clamp down on the maker slides like I do on the steel rails. I am sure I would distort them getting them tight enough. Not to mention the small size of the Makerslide in this format is definitely to small for the larger spans. Possibly a larger model maker slide needs come out for a heavier duty router, still aluminum is not my choice for the vrail.

I have heard some are taking the steel V rails off their machines in lieu of the maker slide, that is weird. The steel is better! The all in one Makerslide just makes it easier to initially assemble and allows a plastic bearing for possibly less noise, but the maker slide is not any better than the original build. I would say people are exchanging a more durable set up for a less durable set up. Go Makerslide for a new kit, but to retrofit and replace, that makes no sense to me.

No one can convince me that those aluminum V rails are durable enough for a router unless the router is a very light set up. And I do not think bdring ever implied the maker slide was for anything more than light weight use. Start slapping on 2.2 kw spindles and that is not light use.

Why even try to go with the aluminum V rail when steel V in existing extrusions are quite a good deal when you compare attaching the Vrail to an extrusion or aluminum block. I could see the need for the Makerslide for a laser application of this smaller size, but that's as far as I see its usefulness ie very light weight duty.

Now if someone were to set up a larger router and run the maker slides for 4 years with no issues then I would be convinced. :)
steppenshoe

Postby kylelnsn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:06 pm

What size are we talking about here though?

This is more of a small workshop CNC router? Or medium sized?

Possible 300x300x250mm or 450x450x300mm envelope?

Little confused?

I want one!
kylelnsn

Postby steppenshoe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Well for the smaller size you just stated I would think the makerslide would be great. I am not sure the size bdring is thinking about, but if its that small I am sure the Makerslide will be just right for it.
steppenshoe

Postby kylelnsn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:40 pm

This is my point, maybe we need to design within the limitations of current makerslide?

Even if it is smaller i reckon people will flock to build them!
kylelnsn

Postby r691175002 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:47 am

I could imagine a 4x6' sized router doing okay if you bolted the makerslide extrusion to a thicker extrusion (Essentially treating it like a cheap linear rail).

That's what I was assuming would happen, there is no way a 20x40mm extrusion can support a gantry over several feet. I suspect in terms of the rigidity between the bearings and the rail there will be significantly less slop than traditional pipe/bearing hacks.

Of course, if you are going to go through the trouble and expense of building an decent extrusion based router to begin with, spending a few hundred extra bucks on some heavier stuff is worth serious consideration.

I want to see makerslide dominate the hobby 3d printer and small toy-cnc (1-1.5 feet travels) stuff. There are also tonnes of miscellaneous applications for cheap linear motion like printer mods (Direct to fabric/PCB), photography, the list goes on and on...

Speaking of routers I'm probably going to give one a go this summer - I've realized a mill can't substitute for a router. I might try to stick a tube on the gantry as well.
r691175002

Postby kylelnsn » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:50 am

Its really a question of scale. I think that it would be better to get the size down and make a prototype right away, storm the market. Then with the advances of makerslide go for the larger sizes.

As said its about positioning the CNC alongside the laser.
kylelnsn

Postby barclayo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:04 pm

I've very excited about the design of the CNC router. Is there a progress / status update?
barclayo

Postby lasersafe1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:58 pm

barclayo wrote:I've very excited about the design of the CNC router. Is there a progress / status update?

Well they say there is no such thing as a stupid question.... well, there may be exceptions. You just posted this question in the only active thread about the proposed new Buildlog router. If you read the thread you will see where it stands. There is nothing new except for occasional comments. If you subscribe to the thread, you will see Everything new that gets posted.
lasersafe1

Postby barclayo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:11 pm

What's with the attitude?

I have read the thread. I am subscribed to it. The last status update I saw from bdring regarding status was dated 2009. As you state, there is nothing new except for occasional comments. So I asked if there was a status update, given that so much time had passed since information had been posted.

A simple "no progress" would have sufficed, as you seem to imply from your posting.
barclayo

Postby mattrsch » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:42 pm

barclayo,
I think you may have confused Bart's join date with the post date, since the first post in this thread is only about 5 months old. He posted this a couple days ago:

bdring wrote:I have had no time to work on this. I spend about 80% of my time getting the makerslide out and the remaining 20% on laser orders.

I do have some parts on order that will allow me to be ready to build it when I get time.
mattrsch

PreviousNext

Return to Designs and Design Ideas