Light object DSP

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

Light object DSP

Postby J45on » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Next payday ( soon :D ) I shall want to order a DSP from light object
And as usual I have questions.
I will be using Bart's controller/driver, Am I right in thinking that I can make a cable to connect the two ?
Have they sorted out the issue of missing chips I was reading about ?
There seems to be very little info about software, Is it CorelDraw and AutoCad only ?
J45on

Re: Light object DSP

Postby whmeade10 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:36 pm

J45on wrote:Next payday ( soon :D ) I shall want to order a DSP from light object
And as usual I have questions.
I will be using Bart's controller/driver, Am I right in thinking that I can make a cable to connect the two ?
Have they sorted out the issue of missing chips I was reading about ?
There seems to be very little info about software, Is it CorelDraw and AutoCad only ?

I have had the DSP for a few weeks now and have no regrets in buying it. I removed Bart's v1 interface board and only use the DSP.
I am not sure if a cable has been made or not. Bart's interface board along with mach3 uses the parallel port while the DSP uses
the USB port. As far as the missing chips, my board came fully populated with no missing electronics.

Tim (twehr) has the most experience with the DSP and has written a manual specifically on how to get the DSP up and running with
Bart's 2.x laser. Here is where his manual is: http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=603

I believe CorelDraw up to version X4 and AutoCad is the only two programs that can launch PHCad, which is the DSP software, from
with in them. PHCad along with CorelDraw can import many different graphic files so I think most are covered.

I use CorelDraw X4, which I purchased off of Ebay for $35. It is a new students version. There is one on there now for $38.00 for the
next 12 days. http://tinyurl.com/64ev4xm Free shipping and 7 left.

You will be quite happy with the DSP. :D

Bill
Last edited by whmeade10 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Postby J45on » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks bill
I think I could make a cable myself, just using the controller/driver as a stepper driver

Thanks also for the link US postage only though, cheapest UK price is roughly $79( bought one )

Jason

EDIT does anybody have the auto focus model
J45on

Postby whmeade10 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:31 pm

J45on wrote:Thanks bill
I think I could make a cable myself, just using the controller/driver as a stepper driver

Thanks also for the link US postage only though, cheapest UK price is roughly $79( bought one )

Jason

EDIT does anybody have the auto focus model

I believe the DSPs that are sold now can do the auto focus function as it is incorporated into the software and uses the IO port of the DSP. The latest software is v4.45. I have a email in to Marco over at LightObject asking what his engineers used when incorporating the auto focus function. Still waiting on an answer.

Bill
FSE 45w Deluxe CO2 Laser 5th Gen w/X7 DSP | CorelDRAW X7
whmeade10

Postby J45on » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:38 pm

These two videos from thunder laser ( looks like the same dsp) show the auto focus

this one shows the switch better
J45on

Postby twehr » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:41 pm

The boards bing shipped now should have the autofocus.

All the boards shipping now (and for some time, now) are fully populated. There was only one shipment from china some time ago that was not complete. The manufacturer trieds to save a few bucks and shipped without chips that very few people would have been using. Once Marco discovered the issue, he contacted the manufacturer and I believe thy may have fired the person responsible. We also created step by step instructions for installing the missing chips. I think there were only one or two that needed it and only one who has tried to harm LightObject's excellent reputation for handling real hardware issues. (The Internet guarantees you can find a lot of information on just about any topic. It does not guarantee you will get the whole truth without some extra effort - my opinion).

I have been providing documentation and email (AND phone) support to any 2x builders who want to use the LO DSP. It takes a lot of time and effort and the only compensation I receive is the satisfaction of helping fellow builders equip their lasers with the best controller they can get. I know those I have helped appreciate it and that is enough for me.

As for using Bart's board with the DSP... You can. I addressed that topic briefly in the documentation. The only reL reason to do so is to make it easy to switch between different controllers, if you wish. If you plan to use only the DSP, you don't need the interface board.

To wire them both up, just build a cable to take the DSP lines to a DB25 connector. Bart modified the interface to handle PWM input specifically at my request so the DSP could be used. The only thing you need, other than the cable, is to run your 24v from the PS to the DSP. Everything else has a place for it in the DB25.

Of course, if you are using the Pololu drives in the interface board and don't have separate drives you can use, you will have to continue using the board and will have to build the cable.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller